Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just soliciting opinions on the following: If you could hunt either Alton or the Henry mountains which one would you choose and why? Thanks

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Alton.
Have an ex-son in law who's family had a place by Alton.
We used to go spot light a bit just before the hunts would start...........WOW.
Plus it is a bunch closer to home for me.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
As a draw hunter, I would choose the Henry Mtns. Nothing against Alton or the operators, but I would rather not place that choice in a 5 day hunt with no scouting allowed and a restriction on how many people can come along for the ride. I'd take the Henry Mtns tag, my family, and enjoy a hunt that 99.9% of hunters will never experience. Do you have the points to draw?

If I were paying money for the hunt then I'd go to the Alton twice rather than the Henry Mtns once.

·
Registered
749 Posts
As a draw hunter, I would choose the Henry Mtns. Nothing against Alton or the operators, but I would rather not place that choice in a 5 day hunt with no scouting allowed and a restriction on how many people can come along for the ride. I'd take the Henry Mtns tag, my family, and enjoy a hunt that 99.9% of hunters will never experience. Do you have the points to draw?

If I were paying money for the hunt then I'd go to the Alton twice rather than the Henry Mtns once.
Plus 1

·
Registered
799 Posts
In a draw, I would want to hunt the Henry Mtns myself. I have a co-worker who drew Alton not long ago and was more or less abandoned to be on his own down there as some other paying hunters hadn't tagged out yet. I understand they focus on the paying customer, but with no ability to scout, and going off what someone tells you, I'd take the place I can scout all year. He did end up getting a pretty nice buck.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
No, it was not for trophy buck deer. I did not know the operator prior to a phone conversation that we had prior to applying for the tag.

For anyone considering A CWMU, my advice would be to be very thorough in doing your homework BEFORE applying for a tag. In all my experiences, I got exactly what I expected based on my research. Like any other hunting scenario, CWMU's have a long list of pros and cons. Like any other hunting situation there are hidden gems for those who put in the time to figure things out. I personally would always rather hunt on public land. Unfortunately, I am not high enough in the point pools to have realistic odds at an LE tag. This combined with the fact that I want to hunt often has caused me to use CWMUs in my application strategy.------SS

·
Registered
100 Posts
My dad drew the Alton tag about 8/9 years ago he had 12 points at the time. The only complaint he had was that he had to drive his own truck around while the other hunters got shuttled around. The guide helped us a lot in trying to locate a deer my dad would like to take, he ended up shooting a 180 class velvet non typical on the last day of his hunt, we did see bigger deer but my dad was holding out for a specific one and he didn't want to go home empty handed so he took the velvet one. I have been putting in for that hunt now for a few years hopefully I'll draw it soon we really enjoyed our time down there and seen a lot of big deer

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,405 Posts
My vote goes to the Henry's for the stated reasons prior in this thread. Nothing against Alton, but if I had been applying for that long, I would want the hunt to last as long as possible (i.e. winter photo trips, summer scouting trips, etc.).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Packout,

I have nowhere near the points to draw either unit. Was just soliciting opinions. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts