Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went fishing this wekeend with the family and as luck would have it, caught a 3lb Whitefish. I've liked whitefish in the past, its a very mild meat... but did some googling to see if there wasnt a different recipe to try out. Well I found the following and not only is it super simple / fast, it really does taste amazing.

Honestly this might now be my #1 most favorite fish dinner, even over fresh salmon / halibut.

Super Good, Super Quick!This white fish recipe is spectacular! If you want an amazingly quick meal, this is the way to do it. For a little less tang, reduce the lemon juice. Minutes to Prepare: 5
Minutes to Cook: 10
Number of Servings: 4

Ingredients
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons light margarine, softened
1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons mayonnaise
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon dried basil
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon garlic salt

Directions
Makes four 4-oz. servings

1. Preheat your oven's broiler (Hi setting). Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil.
2. In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder, and garlic salt. Mix well and set aside.
3. Arrange fillets in a single layer on the pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2-3 minutes. Turn fillets over and broil for 2-3 minutes longer. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. DON'T OVERCOOK!
Gotta get back up to that lake to get some more whities!

-DallanC

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Racist....what do you have against black fish, are they not good enough for you...;-);-);-);-);-)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Where can you catch whitefish?
You can catch them on a lot of the rivers around. The Weber is loaded with them. You can find big pockets of them on the Provo as well. Just go try to catch some winter trout with small bead-head nymphs and invariably you'll catch a few whitefish in the process.

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How big are the weber fish? I thought I heard there are alot but they are small. the ones we get out of the lakes are 16-21"

-DallanC

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've caught whitefish out of rivers before. Not often but a handful of times. They were always quite small and got released. I've never seen anything in the 16-21" range!

Got any pics?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
The Weber fish tend to be in the 12-17" range, with some smaller and some bigger. However, on the Provo I've caught more than I can count that were 18+".

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Just got done looking through a bunch of pics. I apparently don't take many pics of the whities. Here's a pretty typical one from the provo. Like I said, lots of bigger ones in the provo and some in the weber as well. uploadfromtaptalk1453860594178.jpg

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just got done looking through a bunch of pics. I apparently don't take many pics of the whities. Here's a pretty typical one from the provo. Like I said, lots of bigger ones in the provo and some in the weber as well.
Nice one. Yea until this thread, this recipe I dont think most fishermen give them much thought. Our next outing will be to exclusively target whites. I read they freeze well so I want to load the freezer. Limit is 10 per person :mrgreen:

I've never caught one anytime other than ice fishing... and I didnt know they even had whities in the Provo. Very interesting.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Nice one. Yea until this thread, this recipe I dont think most fishermen give them much thought. Our next outing will be to exclusively target whites. I read they freeze well so I want to load the freezer. Limit is 10 per person :mrgreen:

I've never caught one anytime other than ice fishing... and I didnt know they even had whities in the Provo. Very interesting.

-DallanC
Your recipe and testimonial of how good it was has me thinking seriously about an outing just to target them as well. Have you ever tried smoked whitefish?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I have a question. Where the h-bomb is muscle whitefish on this thread???? Surely he would have something to say?? I love whites also. You can catch a bunch of little ones on that river that comes down from dead horse lake (I forget the name). Ive cooked them up in just tin foil and butter at camp and they are excellent. This recipe sounds awesome.

·
Registered
9,946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No... we usually eat them to fast to have enough left over to smoke. I do hope to though. I'd love to get 10x each on our next outing (lol).

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Made it out for a fly fishing outing to just target whitefish for the smoker. We ended up with a half dozen. All between 14 and 18 inches.

Thought we would get more, but the eager browns kept getting in the way. 😊

Whitefish are brining right now before they hit the smoker.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Are there any places to catch whitefish in Utah county?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts