Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a proposal to swap lands in American Fork canyon and increasing the footprint of SnowBird, which would eliminate hunting in that area. The proposal also includes a tram- which would disallow the firing of weapons within the stated distance-- from Tibble Fork up through Silver Lake Flat and up above Silver Lake. Also included is a proposed mandatory shuttle service which would make it kind of hard to scout.

Please check out the link below and get involved. It is important for big game hunters, fishermen, recreation, etc...

http://americanforkcanyon.com/

This is a big game issue! AF Canyon probably gets more deer hunting pressure per acre than most units I have hunted.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
Its inevitable once they let Snowbird come into Mineral Basin, they will never have enough. Anyone else notice the new road from Mary Ellen over the ridge into Mineral? Its there NOW. Who approved that? Maybe the Silver Lake Flat dam reconstruction will be to handle bus traffic.

AF is one of the coolest, and most heavily used canyons in Utah... it should remain as is. We have enough Ski areas in this state.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the petition is well written. It is asking for more time to involve the residents of Utah County-- who will be impacted by the proposed changes. This proposal was not vetted through Utah and Wasatch County channels.

It isn't inevitable if enough people band together and fight the proposals. Might not get everything we each want, but it might change the footprint to accommodate more uses.

This is important enough to at least sign a petition asking for more information. Not that hard to do to show care for the issue.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
I guess I don't understand the 1-what ever rating. I just answered 1 on everything. Hope I didn't sway the poll the wrong way. I'm concerned and don't want to see another ski resort.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For most of the questions, a 1 would say a person does not care what Snowbird does with the land, that there is not a need for public involvement, and that the public shouldn't have input in the process.

But a 1 on the last question- has it been done behind closed doors- would signify yes it has been done behind closed doors.

Not that big a deal SW, I don't think one survey in the grand scheme has too much weight. I have no real involvement with the group outside of the updates I get.

I'm sure there are people for the Snowbird proposal, but my wager is there are many more against it. They just don't even know it is a possibility. I try to stay informed on these types of issues, yet I wasn't aware of it until last week. And the Land Swap is set to go forward next month. Time is short, but there is still time if people get involved. Wives, kids, moms, dads, uncles, cousins, neighbors, etc.. all need to sign. It has to be done now.

·
Registered
9,861 Posts
If you find the videos on the website, then follow the associated videos on youtube, you can find a couple where the main guy pretty much says "we can develop Mary Ellen Gulch right now". Lame lame lame.

This is what they want to destroy, well worth fighting for:

-DallanC

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
I signed it, I don't visit the northern half of the state very often but developing and ruining areas like that is uncalled for. What will be the use of all these ski resorts as our snow totals continue to plummet anyway? Many predict Utah won't even have snow by the end of this century. Aside from that if I ever draw a moose tag or have the opportunity to hunt the wasatch I would rather it weren't ruined when that time comes.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
This is as pristine an area as you can get. Aside from the mining that was done innthe 18-and early 1900's it's pretty much untouched by development. It should stay that way. The tram they are proposing would ruin a lot of great public land.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I signed it, I don't visit the northern half of the state very often but developing and ruining areas like that is uncalled for. What will be the use of all these ski resorts as our snow totals continue to plummet anyway? Many predict Utah won't even have snow by the end of this century. Aside from that if I ever draw a moose tag or have the opportunity to hunt the wasatch I would rather it weren't ruined when that time comes.
Ya, the Wasatch front will become beach front property when California falls into the Pacific......right 1-I?------SS

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
The world is coming to an end you know.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Signing a petition is well and good, but at the risk of being an ass, I'm going to make a point.

I've been following the Mountain Accord process from the get-go and have consistently been the only hunter in the room. I've asked other conservation organizations to take an interest in what's going on and have been either laughed at (because I'm an "alarmist") or simply ignored. So my support falls behind Carl Fisher and Save Our Canyons because SOC has been the only voice for wildlife considerations in this massive development scheme.

If you're familiar with "public process" in Utah (RACs & Wildlife Board), then you're not surprised when I say that the resort$ are the alphas in this case and taking most of the wins. But you know, as hard as it is to fight an alpha, it's impossible to win if you're not even in the fight. So thanks to Carl for hanging in there even though I know he seriously considered just walking away more than once. And thanks to Wild Utah Project.

Still, I wish a camo organization besides mine would pay some **** attention.

I'm a 61 year old 4th generation native son of Utah and I'm proud of that. But never in my life has there been more political crap going on than there is right now. So here's my point.

Utah hunters and anglers cannot afford to just pay attention to tags anymore. Tags depend on open access to quality habitat on public lands. That's our bedrock, folks. Utah politicians (on behalf of corporations) are currently doing all they can to represent their constituents (not you) at the expense of access, habitat and public lands. Straight up, hunters and anglers don't matter...nobody, and I mean NOBODY says otherwise.

We have no friends in the ski resort industry. We have no friends in the development industry (Mike Lee, Ken Ivory).

Much as I hear hunters whine about "anti-hunters", seems to me that we are our own worst enemy because we just assume that what we've had is secure. It's not.

Yes, sign the petition. But then SHOW UP at the public meetings. Demand that your organizations show up. I see RMEF, UWC and TRCP making a stand. Where is everybody else?

Meanwhile, SOC has a proposal that just keeps looking better to me. http://saveourcanyons.org/campaigns/wasatchnationalmonument/

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hawkeye- I'm just passing along the info so we can educate ourselves and make a change. They post a lot of info and updates on social media. Follow them and do whatever you can.

I tend to believe much of what Finn has stated. It would be better to get personally involved and show up to meetings if people are able. Signing the petition might buy time to analyze the proposals. Signatures are needed, now. Amazing this has made it so far without much public info.

Locals contacting their govt officials and Reps would help. Sportsmen's groups would be beneficial also.

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Yeah the worlds coming to an end ridgetop. If you don't believe global warming is an issue, then continue believing it isn't, we as a society and species don't wake up until we have to so well have to see where time take us.

It is true, in a state with such beauty and opportunity, hunters and anglers are an afterthought. Industry and development take the front stand. Showing up to meetings or public processes is important, at least send emails to get our groups out there on these issues. We have RMEF,NWTF,TRCP,Backcountry, MDF,SFW, and more, and how many show up? SFW usually shows up late and takes the credit, but not when t comes to protecting wildlife habitat from dollar signs I guess.

Being a conservationist can sometimes come close to being considered a tree hugger, I'm fine with that at times. I sign the petition not because against industries making money, but because there's not any land out there that will be more wild tomorrow than it was today. Once development happens it's irreversible and saving places from being ruined is not a bad idea. Thank god for Wild Utah Project,SUWA, Save our canyons and such. At least they get their voice out there. In many ways despite having some thing s we don't agree with, they have stood up for us more than we know or give them credit for.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts