Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Snowbird dropped the tram idea from Tibblefork, but is moving ahead with their plans to expand ski lifts into Mary Ellen. This was fairly obvious this past year when they pushed the road over from Mineral Basin connecting it to the mine roads on the ME side. You can drive a car from SLC over into ME now.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=38032006&ni...yes-adding-zip-line-chairlifts&s_cid=queue-18

Such a gem of an area, sad to see it developed. Rumor is Snowbird owns the mineral rights but not the actual ground? Wonder what recourse activists have to fight this.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
It was all set in stone years ago.NOW they want the public input? You can scream> Shout>>Knock Yourself Out>> DONE DEAL! Ton of money involved here..Look at it this way. Sundance is just over the Mountain. Ya don't think Bobby Redford Was? Is? or Could be into this up to his Ears? My 24 year old Grandson took a huge 4X4 with his bow in this area this year. Seen 21 bucks total.KISS IT GOOD BYE.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
There is a Board if Adjustments meeting today at 5pm in Provo. Anyone who can attend would be great. This meeting will discuss the land use in the canyon and if Snowbird can proceed with their development of the canyon.

There is a very important meeting this coming Thursday Jan 7th @5:15pm at the Utah County Commission room 1400, Provo, Utah. Snowbird is trying to get ski towers permitted in AF Canyon via Board of Adjustments and expand operations, although publicly they have told the press numerous times they are not going to expand.

If you can't attend-- please send an email expressing your opposition (or support) with Snowbird's plan to develop the canyon.

Please direct emails to the Board of Adjustments to: [email protected] and ask Josh (Utah County Attorney) to forward them to the members of the Board of Adjustments.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the heads up Packout.
I can't attend the meeting but I will definitely email them my opposition.
Hopefully others will do the same.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Here is what I sent--

Dear Sir,

Due to their lack of a public email, please forward this email to the Board of Adjustments members.

I oppose Snowbird's desire to expand commercial operations further into American Fork Canyon. Even though they may own a variety of surface and mineral rights through their purchase of mining claims, that does not afford them to use those lands in a commercial ski operation, nor to build structures to support such.

I ask you to not approve Snowbird's request and refer them back to the County Commission, where this topic may be vetted in an appropriate public forum.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
According to the news last night the board asked Snowbird to address the issues being brought up, and report back in the next meeting. American Fork City brought up concerns with contaminated drinking water from development there.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Tower foundations have been already been poured and contracts to set towers are already in place. Old Fudd is exactly right.

Only one hunting/fishing organization applied for a seat at the Salt Lake County Mountainous Planning District. Application denied.

This is a continuation of the Mountain Accord. Utah county will be setting up a similar commission in 2016. Will any hunting/fishing organization step up? Not yet and not likely.

Time and again, we don't get involved when decisions are being made. Right now, it's all up to the resort and a handful of private landowners. If y'all don't speak up, don't complain about what happens.

http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...cle_4a46b945-7d96-57b4-a1bd-4abe5b2ad22c.html

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Tower foundations have been already been poured and contracts to set towers are already in place. Old Fudd is exactly right.
huh? already poured? i must have missed that. it wasn't visible as of the snow flying. but the contracts are likely signed by now.

dallan,

the drinking water thing might not be the best approach. AF isn't a watershed and is already heavily contaminated. Snowbird has actually done more to clean that place up than anyone else would attempt. just touching those piles puts them at risk. just saying that another option might work better.

fwiw, the forest service seems really into the idea of expansion there. i've enjoyed hunting and sledding there.

·
Registered
249 Posts
huh? already poured? i must have missed that. it wasn't visible as of the snow flying. but the contracts are likely signed by now.

dallan,

the drinking water thing might not be the best approach. AF isn't a watershed and is already heavily contaminated. Snowbird has actually done more to clean that place up than anyone else would attempt. just touching those piles puts them at risk. just saying that another option might work better.

fwiw, the forest service seems really into the idea of expansion there. i've enjoyed hunting and sledding there.
What do you mean ... "touching those piles"? Sorry, maybe it's obvious, but I don't get it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
How can you say AF canyon is not a watershed? My drinking water comes directly out of that canyon. And councilman Shelton's concern for the water was the only thing that tabled the decision.
Given that their expansion is proposed on private land, I see environmental factors as the only way to oppose their proposal.

Regardless, it's a sad situation that sicken's me. My grandkids will think mountain climbing is riding in a chair lift!:sad:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
What do you mean ... "touching those piles"? Sorry, maybe it's obvious, but I don't get it.
about ten years back they remediated the pacific mine tailings that were polluting the AF water. you have to take responsibility for that stuff after you move it.

littlebighorn, sorry i was incorrect in my statement before. I'm so used to the heavy regulations on dogs going hand in hand with watershed talk that i forget the basic definition of a watershed.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
If your grandkids grow up thinking riding a chairlift is mountain climbing. That's your fault not snowbirds.

Reactions: bekins24
1 - 14 of 14 Posts