Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Believe it or not you can't see bands at 50, 60 + yards. But when there at 20 feet, with feet down you sure can pick them out.

For comparison my little 28 gauge hulls next to a 12 bore 3 1/2" 12 bore that were littering the blind from someone's previous hunt.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Amazing! Just think how far out you could drop a duck if you used a grown ups gun.

I think it's great you are taking the time out for these PSA's on how to hunt. My guess is most of these pesky sky busters aren't reading them here. May I suggest confronting them in the field or better yet. When you see a stupid **** sky buster. Invite them out with you and show them the Jedi way.

Reactions: hamernhonkers

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
Clearly you're not hunting at FB. The sky busters there never let a bird get within 60 yards before opening up. The standard range is 200 yards give or take 50 yards.

·
Super Moderator
3,405 Posts
Very cool, congrats on the band! I am getting more and more interested in the 28 gauge, and its nice to see people shooting limits with it. What make and model of 28 do you shoot, if you don't mind me asking?

I was just thinking back on the bands that I have shot and they all seem to be on the left leg of the bird. Does anyone else have that same experience?

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Amazing! Just think how far out you could drop a duck if you used a grown ups gun.
80 yard triples are easy for me when I use one of my grown up sp-10s;-)

I think it's great you are taking the time out for these PSA's on how to hunt. My guess is most of these pesky sky busters aren't reading them here. May I suggest confronting them in the field or better yet. When you see a stupid **** sky buster. Invite them out with you and show them the Jedi way
You'd be surprised how many cyber scouting, high shooting, guy's who think that no duck is out of their range actually do look at these forums. I do have good news for you though, I do talk to them in the field, give them pointers and every now and again do invite them to hunt with me.

Hell I actually like most of them because at one point, I was one of them;-)

Man I miss those day's sometimes, oh well we all have to grow and mature at some point I guess:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've shot maybe 2,000 ducks and 25 geese. I've got 1 single band. How do you guys do it?
Junior, it's always luck or location man. This was the first time I have ever seen a band on a duck before I shot it. I have seen a lot of the bands on the geese I kill before I shoot them but they are bigger, easier to spot and I happen to live and hunt where a ton of them are banded.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any band info?
I will let you know tonight, I am wasting to much time replying to this thread instead of submitting the info. I am going to bet delta, Utah and last year as a banding date. Just because most of the mallard bands killed here seem to end up coming from there.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very cool, congrats on the band! I am getting more and more interested in the 28 gauge, and its nice to see people shooting limits with it. What make and model of 28 do you shoot, if you don't mind me asking?

I was just thinking back on the bands that I have shot and they all seem to be on the left leg of the bird. Does anyone else have that same experience?
Jeff, this one is a Remington Wingmaster, the one I was using last year was a standard 870. My wife is using her Weatherby sa-08 here and there for ducks also.

I think on the bands it depends on if the bander is left or right handed. They all seem to have the same technique for holding the bird so it boils down to being left or right handed. One other thing is when they let kids or volunteers put them on while helping on a banding project. That can also determine which leg gets banded.

I can tell you that I defiantly get bands from both right and left legs.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts