Utah Wildlife Forum banner

another band

2K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Kraizee 
#1 ·
awesome first week :D

See less See more
#3 ·
Hey Duck Jerky,

I'm curious to know how common these banded birds are. I went duck hunting for the first time last Saturday and nailed a teal with a band. My buddy who's been duck hunting quite a bit was pretty excited about it and couldn't stop talking about how lucky I was to get a banded bird the first time out.

So, any idea about the odds of getting a banded bird? Is it 1 in 10, 1 in 20, 1 in 100? Any idea?

#4 ·
i've been at this for 22 years it took me 14 years before i got my first band which was drake mallard. since then i've got a total of 5 duck bands and 5 goose bands. i've shot around 1,500 ducks and only 30 geese. it's more common to get a banded goose. your lucky to already get a band some guy's have been hunting 40 years and never got one.

#5 ·
DJ,
nice job on the band. I have been shooting 50+ ducks a year for over 30 years and no jewelry for me yet. :evil: Must be where I hunt, not a lot of time spent in public WMA. I wonder sometimes if that has anything to do with it?
But I don't complain because that is not why I am. :lol:

WP

#6 ·
Holy smokes, I guess it was pretty lucky to get a band on my first duck!

I called the number right away and they took my name and address. They wanted to know where it was shot and all the other details. I'm very curious to get the info about where this duck was banded....

Thanks and happy hunting!!!

#10 ·
As I mentioned in a previous post, I reported the band right away. Well....I got the certificate by mail already, only took about 10 days.

It was a green wing teal from Alberta Canada. Banded in 2006 and made it all the way down to Farmington Bay, Utah. Pretty cool.

I'll definitely keep the certificate and band. I hope to add a few more to the collection but now I realize they may come far and few between.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.