Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on the buck/bull combo. If I understand it right there isn't an application for general archery elk, but there is for deer. Do you apply for deer and buy the elk license seperately? Then tags are valid for the concurrent season, right?

Also, I only plan on living in Utah for another year and a half. If I apply for LE now will I retain my points as a non-resident if I chose to come back and hunt elk on an out of state tag someday?

Thanks for spelling this out for me, I've read through the proclamation a lot but it's always at 3 a.m. at work and it just doesn't make sense to my sleep deprived brain :?

Scott

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
All permits are by application. Only those permits remaining after the draw go on sale, first come first served until they're sold out.

If you really want that buck/bull combo tag, you should apply for it. Of course, you can take your chances, bet that they won't all disappear in the draw and buy it later. That saves you the $10 application fee. But it's a gamble and if you lose, you won't get a point and you'll have to buy the archery bull and archery deer tags separately, which is more expensive.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry to beat a dead horse here, but...

Thanks for the info Finnegan. I re-read and hope I understand the proclamation. Keep in mind it has been a few years since I have hunted big game in Utah (& lived here for that matter).

It looks like I need to apply (and draw) an archery deer tag. Is it then possible to buy an archery elk tag over the counter? By doing so I can then hunt both animals, and now the archery seasons coincide, right?

It appears to me the buck/bull combo tag is for any weapon hunters with a season of their own.

I think I was confused when I went to submit my application and couldn't find a place to apply for general archery elk.

And just for fun here is a crappy picture of a bull I saw at the mouth of Parley's last week.[attachment=0:15h9sy8d]bull elk.jpg[/attachment:15h9sy8d]

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Re: sorry to beat a dead horse here, but...

scott_rn said:
It looks like I need to apply (and draw) an archery deer tag. Is it then possible to buy an archery elk tag over the counter? By doing so I can then hunt both animals, and now the archery seasons coincide, right?
Yup.

Of course, I won't be needing an OCT because I'm positive I'm going to draw this year. Really, I am. (I've tried witchcraft, voodoo, sorcery, bribery, prayer, tribal magic, voting Republican, idle threats and holding my breath while kicking my heels in the dirt...this year I'm going to just use the power of positive thinking.)

"This time for sure!" - Bullwinkle J. Moose

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you want an archery tag, I would not apply in the drawing. There are always a ton of them left over. They go on sale in mid-June and likely won't sell out until August sometime. So you can save the $10 application fee and just buy both your elk and deer tags over the counter at any license agent in June.

There's really no reason not to apply for a LE hunt however. Bonus points are hard to come by, and a measly $10 for a deer point is really worthwhile if you ever plan on hunting here in the future. Plus, there's always a chance you'll draw. And yes, your points are retained if you become a nonresident.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts