Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am pumped for the Monday opener of the Muzzy LE elk. I went up this morning to look at some that I have been watching.

I pulled the truck up to the top of the hill and saw a few beef cows about 80 yards down the hill, jump out the truck to do a quick scan with the binos and see a bull about a mile away, as I turn to get the spotting scope out of the truck I glance at the moo cows and there are 2 spike elk standing there looking at me at about 80 yards, they must be wondering what I am because they just stood there watching me get the scope out of the truck and set it up, they watched me for about 15 minutes before they walked into the trees, not scared at all.

The bull turned out to be a nice 5x5, should be a shooter in a couple of years, seen another 4 or 5 point across the canyon. Too dark to see what he was exactly but he was in rut, he was dancing and jumping and spinning around, was by himself and was fun to watch.

Rut must be on, the bulls are single and I didn't see the herd or the six 6x6's that I have been seeing in that canyon that were hanging out together, the 5x5 was calling a little. I left my calls home so I wouldn't be tempted to mess with them till Monday.

I will go up this afternoon to check on a camera that I put out on a remote wallow. Hopefully it will still be there. If someone takes it at least they will know who it belongs too because I left my business card inside.

I got back into town and stopped to fill up the truck and some guys stopped in for fuel, they had a nice heavy 5x5 that they took off of the Southwest Desert unit. That is the other thing that help me get pumped.

I will go to several places this evening and early tomorrow to see if I can hear them bugling.

It is going to be a long weekend. Ok now I am going to run a few round through the muzzy before I head up to check the camera.

Oh yeah, I have the Muzzy deer starting Wednesday too, I can't wait, I feel like a little kid.:shock::grin:

Good luck to all that have tags for next week.

I know.......no pics ....... it didn't happen.

First is the 2 spikes this morning with the bovine. The second is the six 6x6's last week. Sorry for the cell phone pics and especially the one of the 6 points, the wind was so bad and I my camera battery was dead, lucky you can even tell they were elk.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
You have the tag again!? You're rollin!

Good luck on your hunt. It's going to be hard to top the last one. :grin:

·
Registered
2,425 Posts

When I was reading this post I thought for sure it must have been some relative or something, and not Bowgy that had the tag because I know he has already pulled 3 LE elk tags. If he has a 4th one now that is just unreal! My dad is hunting on a southwest desert tag he has right now that he pulled with only a handful of points.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Yup, 4th tag, and yes I am going to have fun and I don't have to worry about size, just have a good time chasing the big ones. I will be leaving shortly to drive to a few places to see if I hear any bugles and then again about 4 am. I will be tired tomorrow but I am having fun already just scouting them out.

Thanks for the wishes, we need to go hunting again when cosmo gets back from Deutchland.

I have the Muzzy deer tag for the same region and time so I will be hunting both.

Reactions: AF CYN

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When I was reading this post I thought for sure it must have been some relative or something, and not Bowgy that had the tag because I know he has already pulled 3 LE elk tags. If he has a 4th one now that is just unreal! My dad is hunting on a southwest desert tag he has right now that he pulled with only a handful of points.
:embarassed: Yeah, I'm starting to feel a little guilty:crazy:

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK..... opening morning .... I'm running a little late ...... half hour before shooting time and 20 minutes from my destination of where I wanted to start looking I see movement up ahead on the highway, I start slowing down and had to come to a stop for a herd of elk crossing the road.... all right I thought.... well the bull was a 5 or 6 point, hard to tell in the headlights but he wasn't very wide so if a 6 he would be under 300 inches, so after they crossed the highway I bid them farewell and went hunting, they weren't in the area I was looking in the morning but found some fresh sign this afternoon in another area that is supposed hold a good bull.

Back at it tomorrow morning.:)

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow, what an awesome hunt, had some great times out in the field, finding the elk, sneaking in on the herds, a lot of hiking and hunting, passed on the small bulls and never found one that I wanted to pull the trigger on.

So I had all the fun of a great hunt and none of the work.

I hope everyone that has hunted or will be hunting had or will have as much fun that I did. Probably the most enjoyable hunt without killing anything that I have had in a long time.

And I realized I can do this every year any time without a tag and just take my camera.;)

I had the deer tag also for the same unit and on the last day of the deer hunt at about 6:00 in the evening I had a nice buck standing there at about 75 yards, he looked so awesome I just said, "It's your lucky day", and let him be. The choice to kill him or let him live wasn't hard at all. Maybe I am getting soft but it felt great to just watch him and have him watch me walk away.

The hunt means so much more to me than the kill. I did not have to take my prey to have an awesome hunt.

·
Administrator
21,400 Posts
amen

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Wow, what an awesome hunt, had some great times out in the field, finding the elk, sneaking in on the herds, a lot of hiking and hunting, passed on the small bulls and never found one that I wanted to pull the trigger on.

So I had all the fun of a great hunt and none of the work.

I hope everyone that has hunted or will be hunting had or will have as much fun that I did. Probably the most enjoyable hunt without killing anything that I have had in a long time.

And I realized I can do this every year any time without a tag and just take my camera.;)

I had the deer tag also for the same unit and on the last day of the deer hunt at about 6:00 in the evening I had a nice buck standing there at about 75 yards, he looked so awesome I just said, "It's your lucky day", and let him be. The choice to kill him or let him live wasn't hard at all. Maybe I am getting soft but it felt great to just watch him and have him watch me walk away.

The hunt means so much more to me than the kill. I did not have to take my prey to have an awesome hunt.
Probably one of the best posts or statements of the year.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
My dad ended up eating his early rifle sw desert tag and my buddy who is an elk slaying machine had to settle for a small bull on his dutton ml hunt. I dont know if it's just been a tough year, if all the units are really slipping, or if the people I know personally just had bad luck.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My dad ended up eating his early rifle sw desert tag and my buddy who is an elk slaying machine had to settle for a small bull on his dutton ml hunt. I dont know if it's just been a tough year, if all the units are really slipping, or if the people I know personally just had bad luck.
Yes it was hot and dry and the bulls were quiet most of the time and I heard the same thing about the rifle hunt, I talked to some hunters that took a nice 5 point on the SW desert on the rifle and they said the same thing. I think the spike hunters have the better weather since we finally got some good rain.

I know of several that were after a 360ish bull and one of the hunters was a girl from St George, I think they wore her out and by the end of the first week she had had all she could take, they seen a 5 point bull in a meadow and she took it because she was tired. I don't know how much fun she had.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts