Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st, the other new hunter thread is freaking awesome. I'm loving and appreciate all the good advice. I am looking forward to the spring so I can get out and put some miles under my boots.

This will fall will (hopefully) be my 1st time hunting big game. I really want to scout a lot between now and when the season opens. I'm planning on bow hunting. I know there are probably better areas, but I have whittled down my choices to 4--mostly because they are the closest to me (Pleasant Grove) and I don't want any reasons for not getting out into the woods as much as possible.

Wasatch Mtns, West - 1526
Oquirrh-Stansbury - 1515
Central mtns, Nebo - 1504
West Desert, Tintic - 1527

by far, I am most familiar with the Wasatch unit--mostly the PG ranger district areas as I used to work up there for the forest service. I know the Nebo area a little bit, and know next to nothing about the other two units.

I know that the wasatch gets a ton of recreation pressure in general, so I'll probably need to be mindful of that. I have no problems getting to know/heavily scouting the units that I do not know.

What should I take into consideration when deciding my preference? Should I go with the Wasatch, which I know well (and will more than likely end up hunting the extended)? Go with an area with less pressure?

Also, I have a shotgun. I don't plan on buying another rifle this year (or getting a rifled barrel for my shotgun). Should I seriously consider the dedicated hunter program?

Thanks for any advice you can give!

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
I agree with Derk.

Put in for a unit that you can dedicate the time to scout out. Your hunt will be so much more enjoyable if you know the terrain and where to get away from road hunters. Even if it is kind of a crummy unit, you will have a more enjoyable experience because you at least know where to expect deer / elk to be instead of guessing because you were only able to reach your unit 2-3 times to scout.

PS: I really appreciate the way you are asking your questions. You aren't a hotspotter that is asking exactly where to hunt (what are the GPS coordinates?) and really seem to want to put in the effort to learn. Thank you for your efforts and best of luck.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Go for Wasatch general archery for now. Also, I would reconsider your idea on hunting deer with a shotgun. You'll really limit your opportunities. Could you borrow a rifle from a close friend or family member? I wouldn't bother with dedicated until you have the equipment to fully take advantage of the general and muzzleloader hunts.

Good luck. There are lots of good spots up AF Canyon and even right behind your house.

·
Registered
10,054 Posts
Good luck. There are lots of good spots up AF Canyon and even right behind your house.
You'd have to work to convince me of that. We hunted every day of the ML hunt, and on into the rifle hunt... saw as few of deer and bucks as I think i ever have up there. Tons of people.

-DallanC

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. My inclination was to go with the Wasatch, and so its nice to have that confirmed.

PS: I really appreciate the way you are asking your questions. You aren't a hotspotter that is asking exactly where to hunt (what are the GPS coordinates?) and really seem to want to put in the effort to learn. Thank you for your efforts and best of luck.
Appreciate the comment. I didn't grow up hunting, so this is all really new to me. I'm really excited about the learning process in general, so I figure the best way to do that is to go out, make mistakes and find my own honey holes. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts