Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
well, out of 4 tags we got 3 Toms.
So my bro inlaw and I get there Friday night and do a little hunting. We tailed a tom to his roost and watched him jump up in. We thought we were good to go. The next morning my brother, brother in-law and I got set up on this turkey well before light but, that morning he didn't want anything to do with us. After that morning, the wind started howling. Snow storm after rain storm blew on through, but we stuck it out. At least in out tent.
We would hunt during breaks in the weather and we would always get into turkeys but, it was going a little rough.. Finally the storms moved out and the wind died down some on Sunday night. We got up for 1 more go at it before we head back to the city. We headed down to a spot that was known to have birds. We left the truck for a short hike just before light in hopes to hear a gobbling Tom before he flew out of his roost.
We heard one gobble about 300 yards out and we quickly rushed into place. We had gotten within 80 yards of his roost while he was still gobbling. I set up my little bro left, and my bro in-law to the right and placed the decoy front and center. I rush back and sat with my brother in-law and proceed to make soft calls.
After 2 short sequences on the calls and the Tom gobbling, we see him fly down through the trees and land 40 yards out. By this time the Tom starts to strut his way in. I'm coaching my Brother in-law by this time, trying to keep him calm. The turkey walks to 20 yards when I tell him to Hammer down. BOOM! Tom down!. It was a very cool experience and I didn't even have time to turn my Go Pro on.
This was the first Tag for anything my Brother in-law had notched. including his first turkey
I promise you guys during waterfowl season. My Go Pro will be recording

Oh P.S. somewhere along my story my little brother missed a nice Tom. Spot N' Stock. almost 4 for 4

Attachments

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys! it's fun just being out camping.
I'v got my 2 other brother in-laws who are youth that i'm taking down this weekend for a couple days. I'm about Turkey-ed out!
i'm wore out, this spring has been nothing but turkeys

1 - 5 of 5 Posts