West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I just googled it and the internet says it's Sid the Sloth from Ice Age.:shock:

Reactions: shortbreath54

·
Registered
51 Posts
Do I get a prize?

Just curious, was it missing a toe? I know in the past they have clipped a toe from lions they were studying so they wouldn't chase the same one twice.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do I get a prize?

Just curious, was it missing a toe? I know in the past they have clipped a toe from lions they were studying so they wouldn't chase the same one twice.
No it wasn't missing a toe, oft times they just don't all show up clearly. This was also the case in the bear track Kingfisher posted that only had 4 toes clearly visible. Sometimes that is just the way a bear walks.

As for a prize, you are entitled to the praise and adoration of all forum members, so go ahead and take a bow! :smile:

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Bears walk bipedal on their rear feet, meaning they place them flat, no heel to toe rock. This makes rear prints complete and symmetrical. Front tracks get more heel pressure(terrain dependent) so you don't always get good toe imprints. I believe I read some where that this has something to do with having non-retractable claws. This is especially true on down hills. 3 and 4 toed bear stories go back to the first trappers, along with the lore of those toes having been lost in traps. Second set of bear tracks I ever cut only had 4 toe imprints, and having just read an old story in Fur, Fish, and Game I assumed that bear was missing his toes. It was quite a few years later before I knew what was actually going on.

Beautiful bear by the way.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
awesome! been spending what precious little spare time i have hiking and glassing for bear. glad somebody got close to one. congrats kevind

1 - 18 of 18 Posts