Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, where to start....

This past weekend I was up at our property and saw a guy driving his truck down the road with a spaniel running along his truck. i asked the guy "what you hunting." He stated, "Grouse." It took a lot to restrain myself with that comment. I told him he better not be on my land doing that... He still asked,
" can i run my dogs on your land?" I said NO and asked him why he is hunting grouse out of season and why he is trespassing. He said "i can run my dog on the road." He is correct on that. The road is public but the land on each side is private. i called Sgt Stacy and Lt Jay to inform them...so the wardens know.

sorry for the rant... just plain frustrated with these idiots. I hope and pray this is not the new "norm"

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Not sure I am on board with ya on this one--to a lot of folks the term "hunt' means to pursue and not necessarily to kill. If the guy was training his dogs on grouse he could be hunting grouse in a sense to find them and train his dog but not to kill them. Did he have a gun with him? Did you ask him if he was killing them? Did you see any dead grouse in his possession?

You said that the dog was running on the road so really you didn't observe him or his dog trespassing and you didn't say that you observed him killing or attempting to kill protected game. Without those actions being observed by you I don't know that I would call the guy a trespasser-poacher-idiot.

Maybe I am missing something but if you saw some sort of law breaking and reported it then I think ole Sgt Stacy and Lt Jay would be on the case. Maybe you can send me their phone numbers so I can turn in the neighbor kids when they are chasing robins off my lawn with sticks. :)

·
Administrator
21,283 Posts
Well, where to start....

This past weekend I was up at our property and saw a guy driving his truck down the road with a spaniel running along his truck. i asked the guy "what you hunting." He stated, "Grouse." It took a lot to restrain myself with that comment. I told him he better not be on my land doing that... He still asked,
" can i run my dogs on your land?" I said NO and asked him why he is hunting grouse out of season and why he is trespassing. He said "i can run my dog on the road." He is correct on that. The road is public but the land on each side is private. i called Sgt Stacy and Lt Jay to inform them...so the wardens know.

sorry for the rant... just plain frustrated with these idiots. I hope and pray this is not the new "norm"
Welcome to the forum and thanks for posting your story.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I took my dog out two weekends ago to get him keyed up for grouse. It probably looked like I was hunting them.
If your property is in the mountains and has no "no tresspassing" signs, what is to identify it from any other property?

·
Administrator
21,283 Posts
Not sure I am on board with ya on this one--to a lot of folks the term "hunt' means to pursue and not necessarily to kill. If the guy was training his dogs on grouse he could be hunting grouse in a sense to find them and train his dog but not to kill them. Did he have a gun with him? Did you ask him if he was killing them? Did you see any dead grouse in his possession?

You said that the dog was running on the road so really you didn't observe him or his dog trespassing and you didn't say that you observed him killing or attempting to kill protected game. Without those actions being observed by you I don't know that I would call the guy a trespasser-poacher-idiot.

Maybe I am missing something but if you saw some sort of law breaking and reported it then I think ole Sgt Stacy and Lt Jay would be on the case. Maybe you can send me their phone numbers so I can turn in the neighbor kids when they are chasing robins off my lawn with sticks. :)
I agree. "in pursuit" is hunting. Fishrmn will jump on this within the hour and post the regulations. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I not sure I'm on board as well with your reply. Carbon County does not allow sage grouse hunting at all. This individual was far from timber to be "hunting" blues.

Let me clarify.

All the land is private..only the road is public. You state that "hunt" means to pursue..how do you "pursue" grouse on private land? So you're telling me running dogs on the "road" is a good training technique. I've trained Gordon Setters and i have never run my dogs on the "road." Just because you do not leave the road does not mean your dogs are allowed to.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
+1

This sounds more like a landowner who wants to make a public access road private "for his use only". From what was posted, there was nothing illegal about this guys observed behavior.

-DallanC

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
+1

This sounds more like a landowner who wants to make a public access road private "for his use only". From what was posted, there was nothing illegal about this guys observed behavior.

-DallanC
That would be a negative on that statement.

I sold the road back in '81 to the BLM to allow access to landlocked public ground. i did not think it was right restrict the public from public land. My family has owned this property for 114 years....our homestead. If I was that way "for his use only" then I would of kept the road private.
This individual actually had 2 dogs. 1 on the road and 1 off the road. So yes, he was trespassing.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
To be fair. In one of the areas that I spend a ton of time in I see blue grouse year round at low elevation in sage and oak brush, miles from the nearest pine or aspen. And yes, I am very clear on the difference between sage and blue grouse. If he is running his dog off the road on the private property and pursuing or harassing birds in any way that would be against multiple laws and the authorities should have the ability to discern what, if any, laws were being broken in this instance.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
That would be a negative on that statement.

I sold the road back in '81 to the BLM to allow access to landlocked public ground. i did not think it was right restrict the public from public land. My family has owned this property for 114 years....our homestead. If I was that way "for his use only" then I would of kept the road private.
This individual actually had 2 dogs. 1 on the road and 1 off the road. So yes, he was trespassing.
Sorry for your trouble. Sounds like the guy was in the wrong and you did the right thing calling the authorities. Thanks for being willing to allow public access to public land through your property.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
For those who cannot relate to the problems caused by a public road through private property I ask how you would feel if people just randomly walking down your sidewalk were to do any of the following on your front lawn. Taking a dump, littering, parking (on your front lawn) to admire the view or seeing how deep of ruts they can cause with their ATV.

All these happen quite often in the mountains on private property with a public easement even when obviously marked. Law enforcement is hours away. Everybody knows that.

I'm sure it is not any of the 10,446 fine members of this forum that would do this just the other 2 million + people in this state that have no respect for others property.

Mathis it was nice of you not to shoot his dog that was tresspassing.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
For those who cannot relate to the problems caused by a public road through private property I ask how you would feel if people just randomly walking down your sidewalk were to do any of the following on your front lawn. Taking a dump, littering, parking (on your front lawn) to admire the view or seeing how deep of ruts they can cause with their ATV.

All these happen quite often in the mountains on private property with a public easement even when obviously marked. Law enforcement is hours away. Everybody knows that.

I'm sure it is not any of the 10,446 fine members of this forum that would do this just the other 2 million + people in this state that have no respect for others property.

Oh judas flipping priest, the guy was running his dogs along his truck, nothing more. That's just fine if you want to take an absolutist view of private property ownership, facism is apparently live and well. How long does it take to goose step out to the mailbox each day?

My neighbors dog craps on my lawn regularly, the neighborhood kids almost daily leave stuff on my lawn and that damned wind even blows litter onto my lawn. I smile and deal with it because I want to be a good person in this world and I live by the 'no harm, no foul' principle. If the original poster wants to get all torn up because of this non issue then honestly I feel sorry for him. And the handful of other land owners that share his attitude.

But I don't want to disagree with ya too much being that you are new and this is a decent forum, so welcome to the party.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I have a mile of FS road that runs through our property so I get the sentiment. We don't even post.

The issue I would have is with the guys statement of "hunting" grouse. Pursuit is hunting, that's why running bears and cats requires a pursuit permit. Has my dog(have not had one in years) ever flushed birds out of season, sure, but I never intentionally put her on them, or looked to do so. That's what pheasant clubs and pigeons are for.

Reactions: Kwalk3

·
Administrator
21,283 Posts
This is going well.

Were the dogs flushing dogs? They get so far out in front of the hunter (road hunters too) that I don't think they're hurtin' anything.

Reactions: Lonetree

·
Registered
508 Posts
I guess I just dont get it. Seems like a guy was running dogs on private ground, if even just a little bit! Also seems like he was "pursuing/hunting" grouse out of season if even just a little bit! Since when do we tolerate even just a little bit of a violation? Lines must be drawn somewhere or what is the point.

Cheddar

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
1 on the road and 1 off the road. So yes, he was trespassing.
So now he has two dogs? And one WAS on your property? Why didn't you mention that part in your original post? Seems like the more important part of this story.

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
11,690 Posts

Good to see that someone gets it! I have experienced similar issues with completely private roads, extremely frustrating! Best of luck PM sent

Reactions: Mathis

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have friends with ranches in the same area and trespassing is a major problem. Just
because there is BLM land in the area doesnt mean that we are entitled to just go where ever the eye can see. If the land is posted private property , then it means private property... Clearly he says it is posted and still has a problem with trespassing. I think the poster is just venting on people trespassing as a whole. We should be responsible with land use and have updated maps and GPS's to tell us where we can and can not go, but that would require a level of responsibility that people in this area just dont seem to have. In Texas trespassers get shot. Maybe Texas is on to something.... ha

1 - 20 of 34 Posts