Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year I hunted with the Drake EQ Waders with the 1600 gram insulation. I LOVED them. Won’t go back to neoprene. I hunted hard all season then on the last few hunts I noticed a leak. I patched what I could but as I kept hunting the tear kept crawling down the seam. I ended up getting a full refund from Cabelas and thought hmm “what a great deal I got a free season out of those awesome waders”. I figured I’d buy another pair this season but as we near the hunt there’s jack piss in stock locally. Next weekend I’ll be in Wyoming and really want to try early geese but I kinda need some waders for where I want to play.

Have any of you had to deal with refunds from an online vendor? I can have some good waders here next week, maybe the same pair as last year. I’m kinda scared though of being stuck with a 400 dollar pair of single season waders.

Or….. do I bite the bullet and go Sitka?

·
Registered
509 Posts
I gave up on expensive duck hunting waders last season because they keep getting more expensive, and seem to be lessor quality every time as well.

Went with a cheap pair of stocking foot breathables off of Amazon for $80, and a $40 par of wading boots. Absolutely loves them, and will never go back. They worked great, fit me better (I was able to buy Talls without paying a premium), lasted every bit as well, and still look to me like I should get at least a good chunk of this season out of them, maybe more. And then one day when they bite the dust, oh well. $80 to $120 ish and I’m back in business.

To finish off the “kit” I spent $150 on a nice pair of lite packable down pants that I can wear if I need insulated waders on cold hunts. No reason those should ever go bad really with basic care, so I see that as basically a one time purchase.

I figure even if I went through two pairs of the cheap waders a season, I’d come out ahead of buying waterfowl branded breathables at current prices. And I’m already happier with this route than the last 3 or 4 pairs of those that I’ve bought.
Like I said, I’m never going back. Happiest I’ve been with my wader setup in 30 years of waterfowling.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I had a friend that found a pair of used hunting boots that were a size or two bigger than he normally wears at D.I. He used them for wading boots. He installed some short screws in the bottoms for traction. Granted, he didn't use them for waterfowling, but worked great for fly-fishing.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
[QUOTE="one4fishing, post: 2253944, member: 48905"
Or….. do I bite the bullet and go Sitka?
[/QUOTE]

Sitka waders are not indestructible. Sure, they have a warranty but it's still going to cost you shipping and repair fees.
I am searching for waders as well. I haven't had much luck with any breathable wader I have tried. I get a season out of them and usually it's the boots that go out first. I have been looking at some of the Tidewe breathable waders, or going stocking foot and wading shoes like gander mentioned.

·
Registered
Hunting, Fishing, Trapping, Targets, Hiking, Foraging, Shroom Hunting, Farming, Gardening, Building
198 Posts
I just use Caddis neoprene boot waders with Corkers just like I would fly fishing. I thermal up underneath and am able to stand all day at anytime. Salesman wanted to talk me into a new set of waders and I said I got a patch kit so all I gotta do is clap three times spin in a circle and jump to get my waders to do triple duty getting my moneys worth outta the product I actually need.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I thought the price if Sitka was insane but they are worth every cent. Comfortable and last. My friend had to use the warranty last year and was very impressed. I think I’m getting a second pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’ve looked at the Chene gear stuff. It’s way hard for me to splurge on something I can’t put my hands on. I’m kinda hoping for some input from peers here. I’ve also looked at Tidwe stuff, I’ve seen it worn by a bunch of YouTube hunters lately.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
I've had great luck with the Banded Redzone Elite 2.0 waders. I have 3 seasons on my current pair and haven't had any trouble. Haven't even needed to patch. Banded is in the process of clearing them out in preparation for the Redzone 3.0, so there are some decent sales going on if you can find what you want in your size. I ended up buying another pair a few weeks ago. I've seen some bad reviews of them online, which initially made me hesitant to buy them, but they've been great for me.

My one comment is that it's worth getting the Elite as compared to the standard. The boot on the Elite is much better.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had horrible luck with Sitka waders. 5 hunts, complete failure of seam at boot top. Sitka was not interested in replacement, nor refund. 6 week repair process. Finally, got someone to refund. Bought Chenes. Been great so far, with great customer service. Wish they had knee/shin pads.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I switched to breathable waders a few years ago because they are so much more comfortable especially in warmer weather. I have tried a lot of different brands and think my preference now is to try and get a decent pair of waders that doesn't cost a lot, knowing that every couple of years I may need to replace them. I have a pair of Compass 360 waders that I have taken to Alaska for 2 years now and they have held up great.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sooo
I bit the bullet tonight and ordered some Rogers Toughman 2 in 1’s.
I’ve came close a few times now to buying some other options but tonight with the clock ticking I finally bought these. Mainly because they had slim sizing.
For the price I’ll be happy if I can hunt till February with them.
I’ll let you guys know.

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Sooo
I bit the bullet tonight and ordered some Rogers Toughman 2 in 1’s.
I’ve came close a few times now to buying some other options but tonight with the clock ticking I finally bought these. Mainly because they had slim sizing.
For the price I’ll be happy if I can hunt till February with them.
I’ll let you guys know.

You will be able to use them from start to finish. They are comfortable waders. I had 2 pairs but couldn't make it through a season with the boots. The boots suck big time. They dry rot and crack.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts