Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What an awesome experience to be a part of!!! Pro and I and a couple of other friends went out and participated in the sheep transplant. Maybe you saw us on TV :D .I was only able to go on wednesday but Pro and another friend was able to go back on thursday as well. Man, that was really a lot of fun. The helicopter dropped them off and then we were able to go pick them up and carry them to a weigh station, then on to a bail of hay where they were measured and given shots and collars, then we put them into the trailers. I was awesome to be carrying some of those sheep. There was some good genes in that heard. There was also a lot of down time, so we were able to hang out and talk with some awesome people. We talked to heads of SFW and DWR and just some great people dedicated to wildlife. It was great to rub elbows with some of these guys. What a cool experience to be a part of! It was my first transplant to go to, and hopefully not my last.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
What an awesome experience to be a part of!!!
I agree 100%.

By the way, your friend made it out yesterday for a few hours. We caught some great rams yesterday, with several 8+ year old rams. What an amazing animal. I went out and helped release them on the Stansbury's last night as well. What a rush and "awesome" experience.

I got to talk with dozens of DWR/State biologists during the 'down time' and several different issues. That alone made it worth it. I talked with three BYU students working on their degrees as well. The future looks good with kids like these coming in to the fold soon, along with the great guys already employed at the DWR.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
That does sound like a good time. I'm gald to see some of the future was out there as well. Its too bad such a great thing sparked such a debate on other posts. Hopefully in the future I can get on some of these events. Thanks guys,

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Good of you fellar's to get out and help !!

I watched a little on the news...seems like everything turned out safe ?

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I helped on the sheep transplant on the Rattlesnake unit by Green River. We were able to pull them out of the horse trailer, put straight jackets on them and then load them onto the helicopter for their trip upstream. They were then met by the rest of the volounteers who unzipped them and set them free in their new home. That is fun stuff!

Glad that you had the opportunity to do that.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Sounded like a good time; I wanted to come out and but I had company in town and couldn't leave them all alone. Maybe next time.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
elk22hunter said:
I helped on the sheep transplant on the Rattlesnake unit by Green River. We were able to pull them out of the horse trailer, put straight jackets on them and then load them onto the helicopter for their trip upstream. They were then met by the rest of the volounteers who unzipped them and set them free in their new home. That is fun stuff!

Glad that you had the opportunity to do that.
I held two ram skulls that were taken off the Rattlesnake unit this year. Both went over 185 and had incredible mass.

I will never forget the excitement of being a part of this, and also the new friends I made, as well as the knowledge I gained in many of my conservations with some very smart folks. Thanks SFW/FNAWS for giving me the OPPORTUNITY to be a part of it!

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Very cool stuff! Thanks for helping out, I can't wait to see some of those guys out in the desert. The possibility of going on a Utah sheep hunt has me absolutely drooling. I'll have to try my hand with a camera as well.
-Troop

1 - 8 of 8 Posts