Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when do most of the deer start shedding their antlers?

and last year didn't the fish and game make a season for picking up shed

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Some may be dropping them now and yes there are seasons for shed hunting see the proc for dates.

·
Registered
976 Posts
For what it is worth, I copied and pasted this from http://wildlife.utah.gov/calendar/

Notes: The 2007 Northern Region shed antler gathering season runs from January 1 to January 31, 2007 and from May 1, 2007 to January 31, 2008. For the other regions the season is year-round. See the 2007 Big Game Proclamation for details.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well to clarify......

Actually the Sed horn/Shed antler season has nothing to do with harvesting. You may harvest shed antlers, with the socket attached anytime of year. Any antlers connected to a skull or skull plate are illegalto posess in Utah unless its a tagged deer.

Shed antler and horn season only concerns the selling, trading and bartering of antlers. They set a season for selling them outside of the big game seasons, so hunters wouldnt be tempted to sell their antlers fresh off the hunt.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think the keyword in what he posted before was "gathering." Reads pretty clearly to me that in the Northern Region you ought not to be gathering any sheds during that time frame.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
blackbear said:
Well to clarify......

Actually the Sed horn/Shed antler season has nothing to do with harvesting. You may harvest shed antlers, with the socket attached anytime of year. Any antlers connected to a skull or skull plate are illegalto posess in Utah unless its a tagged deer.

Shed antler and horn season only concerns the selling, trading and bartering of antlers. They set a season for selling them outside of the big game seasons, so hunters wouldnt be tempted to sell their antlers fresh off the hunt.
Hope this helps.
My understanding is you can only "gather" shed antler during the dates posted by scott_rn in the Northern Region. You are correct about you can't take antlers connected to the skull plate anytime of the year. I could be wrong, but that was my understanding. There was talk of implementing this shed season for state wide. Does anyone know if that is still in the works or if they tabled the idea.

·
Registered
301 Posts
OOPS....
Your right..
I just found it in the proc, starting in 2005, the DWR placed a restriction from JAN 31-APR 31 in the northern region on shed antler gathering.
see I learn something new every day.....

·
Registered
801 Posts
The dates in the proc are for gathering of sheds, not for selling or any other activity. You can't collect sheds during Feb, Mar, or Apr in the Northern Region, and you can do it year-round in the other regions. This restriction in the Northern came about because some folks thought it would be worthwhile to chase bucks around until they dropped their antlers. Those individuals are referred to as idiots, and have also been known to occur outside the Northern region.

Back to the original question. It varies as to exactly when a deer will shed his antlers, but most of them do it during March. Late Feb you may get a few, and also late March, but I think the peak is probably early to mid March. One deer I spoke with shed his on March 13th.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Were actually getting a few things mixed up. The Northern Region Shed antler and Horn GATHERING season, is different from the Shed Antler and horn season-

from the proc:
Antlers, horns and heads of legally taken animals may be purchased or sold only between Feb. 15 and July 31 annually.

I can find about 25 people on ksl.com, not to mention ebay who are violating this right now.....
do you think I get a deer tag if I turn 'em in??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts