Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hunting the Wasatch Mountain West unit for the general deer hunt. I have scouted hard for my deer, been on the unit 3-4 days a week for the last month. I have been reading about the Antlerless Elk Control permits they are allowing the general deer hunt to purchase and use. With the deer hunt only being nine days, that doesn't give a lot of time to bag both permits. (I remember the old buck/bull combo tags being difficult to fill) On the unit I have scouted I have seen lots of deer but zero elk. I have spent some time over the last few days on Google Earth trying to find some additional areas to scout this week for signs of elk. If anyone has any insights into where some of the cow elk might be in this unit. (Heber/Wallsburg/Strawberry area) Shoot me a Private Message.

Has anyone else picked up one of the Antlerless Control Permits for the general hunt?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
I'm thinking about picking one up (Wasatch West as well).

We usually don't scout much ahead of time, because we know where we like to go and there are usually a few deer around. We haven't seen elk in this particular area during the deer hunt since about 2009 or so, so I don't really feel too optimistic about getting one. At worst, though, it's a $30 donation to the DWR, and at best, it's an elk in the freezer.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I heard there are of a ton of cows in the current creek area just hunt the border of it. All kidding aside we found some cows in the thick Timber near strawberry river

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After doing a fair amount of searching here on the board I have decided not to get a control tag. I am going to focus my efforts on the deer hunt this year. I made a few phone calls to some of the officers at the Division of Wildlife Resources to understand some more about the herd on the unit. Not to turn this into another "Whoa is the Wasatch" thread. But some things I learned, they have only been able to put GPS collars on half of the elk they were wanting to. This was in part due to the almost non existent winter last year. They count elk every three year rotation in the winter on winter range. And they reported over 500 cows harvested last year on the unit. This puts success rates very low for the control tags.

·
Registered
394 Posts
After doing a fair amount of searching here on the board I have decided not to get a control tag. I am going to focus my efforts on the deer hunt this year. I made a few phone calls to some of the officers at the Division of Wildlife Resources to understand some more about the herd on the unit. Not to turn this into another "Whoa is the Wasatch" thread. But some things I learned, they have only been able to put GPS collars on half of the elk they were wanting to. This was in part due to the almost non existent winter last year. They count elk every three year rotation in the winter on winter range. And they reported over 500 cows harvested last year on the unit. This puts success rates very low for the control tags.
Based on the amount of shooting on the spike opener...I'm guessing that the cows were absolutely slaughtered this year as well. Lots of animals came off the mountain, but very few with antlers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We hunted this area for spike elk this year (northwest of currant creek). We saw tons of cows that were killed. No spikes that we seen were taken. Saw a few calves running around with no herd. We watched one for 4 hours one evening and never saw another elk near it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts