Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know if there is a list out there that shows how many people have a certain number of points for the antlerless moose? Its easy to find the deer/elk listing, but since there have been no moose hunts the last few years, How many people are still putting in for antlerless moose, and how many people have max points?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yep thats exactly what I was looking for. Thanks. So correct me if im wrong, But wouldnt it be a waste to put in for a point unless you currently have max points? Basically unless you are at max points, 267 with max points would have to draw their tag before you with 7 points would even have a chance , right?

I know elk and deer are preference points, to where you have to have max points to draw, unless there are tags left over to go to the next point pool. Is moose the same way, or are they going to have to move that to a bonus point system if ever they decide to issue tags in the future? From past experiences , even when they did issue cow moose tags, it was very few, maybe 20-25 in a year. That would take atleast 10-15 years to get through max point people.

Ive currently got 7 points (Fell behind when I couldn't put in for a cow point the year I drew my bull moose tag) and trying to decide if its even worth putting in for a point anymore.

·
Registered
278 Posts
As things currently stand the cow moose systems is set up on a "Bounce" point system. Under the Bounce point system 50% of the tags go to max point holders and %50 to the general draw. Who knows how things are going to be if/when they start giving out cow moose tags again.

I am in the same boat as you are except I currently have 6 points I think. I have been purchasing the points in hopes of the DWR issuing cow moose permits again. I am beginning to wonder if its even worth it. If you don't keep purchasing points you will not have a chance in he!! of getting a tag.

400bull

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats kind of what I was figuring, I would keep applying for the point, and hopefully someday there will be tags again. I am glad to hear its on the bounce point rather than preference point system. I was just thinking if it was set up like other antlerless tags, you would never draw a tag unless you had max points.

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
Yeah, I decided that even though I have max cow moose points by moving to Alaska soon there are way better opportunities to get moose, why spend $10 on a worthless application in Utah?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
****, It looks like max points are currently at 9 instead of 8 like I was thinking.:mad::)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I have max cow moose points, I just keep on buying them in hopes that one day they will issue a couple tags. I think it is absolutely stupid that they continue to sell bonus points while not issuing any tags. If you don't have an opportunity to hunt an animal why issue bonus points. Of course it's all about the money and they make quite a lot of money on folks buying bonus points for an animal they cannot hunt. I figure I am at the front of the line with a couple hundred other doofs so I will continue to play the game. Honest to god if this state issued unicorn bonus points people would buy them and I would be first in line! :D

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have max cow moose points, I just keep on buying them in hopes that one day they will issue a couple tags. I think it is absolutely stupid that they continue to sell bonus points while not issuing any tags. If you don't have an opportunity to hunt an animal why issue bonus points. Of course it's all about the money and they make quite a lot of money on folks buying bonus points for an animal they cannot hunt. I figure I am at the front of the line with a couple hundred other doofs so I will continue to play the game. Honest to god if this state issued unicorn bonus points people would buy them and I would be first in line! :D
Because they know there are people who will buy them. Even if they never get a tag free money

·
Registered
303 Posts
I quit buying points when they stopped selling tags. I thinks its a cheap shot to sell points on years when there are no tags, but there are other things more important to complain about and I haven't said anything to the DWR.

I stopped buying bull and cow points. Seems to be a waste of money. I'd rather put that energy into getting serious, saving some money, and going to AK than hoping to beat the odds in Utah.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I guess I'm the odd man out on this one! I drew a cow moose tag and filled it in 2008 which may have been the last year they issued tags, so I wasn't eligible for a point again until last year. And, yes, I bought one! So, will I buy one this year? Absolutely! You see, unlike some of you, I don't consider the DWR my nemesis or enemy. I know they are working hard to stem the decline and bring the herds (and tags) back up and my messily $10 donation helps in that effort. So, I consider it an investment, if not for me, then for my grandkids and maybe some of you! (You're welcome!) I guess it's time to start posting up the occasional moose study updates I get!

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Because they know there are people who will buy them. Even if they never get a tag free money
It looks like there are roughly 2500 people putting in for cow moose tags each year. 2500 people apps at $10 per app: 2500 x $10 = $25,000 per year in free money! I bet that number continues to grow a little year by year also.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I'm the odd man out on this one! I drew a cow moose tag and filled it in 2008 which may have been the last year they issued tags, so I wasn't eligible for a point again until last year. And, yes, I bought one! So, will I buy one this year? Absolutely! You see, unlike some of you, I don't consider the DWR my nemesis or enemy. I know they are working hard to stem the decline and bring the herds (and tags) back up and my messily $10 donation helps in that effort. So, I consider it an investment, if not for me, then for my grandkids and maybe some of you! (You're welcome!) I guess it's time to start posting up the occasional moose study updates I get!
Your smoking something funny if you think that $10 goes to the Utah DWR. Not sure of the percentages, but a huge majority of app fees go to a private company in Nevada. I don't think of DWR as my enemy but they are selling a product they don't have in stock and may never have in stock again. Like you, yes I will put in for a point with the hopes of tags in the future, but it doesn't make what they are doing right.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
You are a god among men--an amazing individual with the foresight and wisdom bestowed upon few. I thank you for gracing this thread with your presence and one day if the stars align, may I be blessed to be downwind of your everlasting glory.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Elk,

Please do post up any updates on the current moose studies. If not, is there anyway you could forward them to my email? I am very interested in the findings.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Has anyone complained to the DWR about selling points when not tags are offered? If so, what is the response? I don't think this is a good approach for a government agency to use. Agencies do not need to systematically make a point creep problem.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Hey, if the DWR offers a product and people buy it, why shouldn't they sell it? I mean, they tell you up front there will or will not be tags available. It's YOUR decision to decide if you want to gamble on a future with cow moose permits. This scenario sounds eerily similar to 401(k) or other investments most people fund for their retirements. You put money in now, hoping for a big payoff in the future. DWR needs the money, so if there are those that will pay for a future where they can play, so be it. No need to get all twisted about it.

B/t/w - I shot my cow in 2008 and have chosen NOT to buy points any time soon. More power to those that want to though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts