Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I remember a couple years ago, there was some deal that made it possible to hunt cow elk during the general deer hunts as long as you had a deer tag as well as your cow elk tag. Is that still in effect?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Yep, but only in the areas where the tags overlap. Doesn't look like the link to the guidebooks on the DWR site are working right now, but I don't remember any changes being made to this.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We hunt the cache unit. I am a dedicated hunter and my 12 yr old daughter drew the rifle tag for deer (which if I understand it correctly, means that she can hunt all general deer seasons). Just trying to decide what cow tag to put her in for.

·
Registered
401 Posts
We hunt the cache unit. I am a dedicated hunter and my 12 yr old daughter drew the rifle tag for deer (which if I understand it correctly, means that she can hunt all general deer seasons). Just trying to decide what cow tag to put her in for.
These are the areas for the elk control permits. You must have a bull tag, Buck tag,or OIL tag in one of these areas to obtain a permit.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Yes, that "additional opportunity" is still there:

Utah Code § 23-19-22 and Utah Admin. Rule R657-62-20 & R657-5-33
"... if you obtain an antlerless elk permit, you may use it at the same time you're hunting a buck deer or a bull elk. The antlerless permit must be for the same area listed on your deer or elk permit."

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what I thought, I just couldnt find it in writing. So since she can hunt all general deer seasons, does that mean she can hunt cows (depending on whether she draws a tag) during all of those seasons as well?

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
yes she can hunt all three seasons. put her in fro a cow tag where her deer tag for and let her hunt all three season with both tags. very good odds for her to kill a cow.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts