Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the time is almost here. I leave Friday for my hunt that starts Monday. It has been a long 8 months since I found out I drew my Expo tag and now the time is here.

I will be trying to get my first bull elk and it is my first LE tag, so if anyone has any advice or tips I am all ears. I hope the bulls are still bugling and we can find a nice bull. Being an Expo tag, I figure I am playing with house money so I am not going to be too picky but I do want a nice mature bull, score isn't going to be the deciding factor.

Anyways good luck to everyone else, can't wait to keep reading all of the success stories.

·
Administrator
11,331 Posts
If the first bull that you see is good enough for the last day he is good enough for the first day.

On my LE elk hunt a number of years ago I shot the first bull that I saw opening day at 7:05 in the morning. For a while I wondered if I should of waited and see what else would of showed up but now as I sit here typing this I can look at him hanging on my wall and smile.....He'll do quite well.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
If I remember right Raptor drew the Manti LE muzzle elk hunt.

Use your optics to help locate elk, but don't be afraid to get in the quakies and mix it up with them. The elk will be there and with this cooler weather will be bugling better than they were at the beginning of the muzzle hunt last year (which was fairly warm until Friday evening).

Elk seemed to move up to the ridges in the evening and back down to the bottoms of the canyons (and the opposite north-facing pines) in the morning. If you can pattern a group of elk doing this, you can intercept them. You're going to have a phenomenal hunt!

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
If the first bull that you see is good enough for the last day he is good enough for the first day.
I always get a kick out of that saying cause if it were the last day I would be happy with a spike! and Heck no I ain't shooting a spike on the first day! I've revised the saying, if you'd be happy with that bull through the first 1/3 of your hunt, than you should shoot him on day one.. I have the same tag as raptor and we are heading down friday as well. Good luck raptor and be safe.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
I have never hunted the manti so I don't have any advice on finding bulls. My advice is in general. Enjoy every moment of this rare tag and don't let the pressure of this rare tag effect your enjoyment. In 2013 I drew my first LE tag for the early rifle south cache. In fact me and my twin brother both drew. As you and many others on here know the elation you feel when drawing one of these tags is hard to describe. Our fun started immediately with many scouting trips. We had the elk dialed in and multiple honey holes. I also was looking for my first branched bull having killed a couple spikes and a few cows previously. Knowing the south cache is no book cliffs or pahvant my expectations were any 5x5 and up. A 320 or better bull would be a dream come true. Well the hunt came and our excitement was peaked. Elk fever struck me 15 minutes into shooting light opening morning and I shanked one at a beautiful 5x5 across a canyon at about 300 yards. Second day I was in the wrong place at the wrong time and had one of those dream bulls I described chase some cows through the thick stuff 30 yards behind the area I was watching after my brother spooked them from a ridge over and I couldnt get a shot. Then the next evening after working all morning to help my brother pack out his bull from a hell hole I called a nice 6x6 out of the pines with some cow calling. Yup, elk fever struck again and I shanked another one. At this point I am now emotionally and mentally injured and it is only the night of day three. I was still having a blast at this point despite my misfortune knowing I still had six days. However, after day 4 didnt produce any elk I was starting to feel the pressure of not wasting this tag. Long stort short by day 8 I was so consumed with the pressure of the tag it honestly wasnt fun anymore. I didnt get my bull and the pain was awful for a year until finally I started to relive the memories and realized I was hunting bugling bulls and I was in the mountains for two weeks straight and I was into bulls almost every day. Things just didnt go my way. It doesnt get much better than that. Too many people get caught up in the pressure of filling these rare tags and forget they are supposed to be enjoying themselves and doing what we love. Anyway I wish I would have been a member of this forum back then so some of the many good people on here could have given me this advice. Good luck to you and I will be rooting for you to bag a nice one.

·
Registered
8,051 Posts
Just finished up assisting a friend on the rifle hunt on your unit. I'd never hunted the Manti before but had been in the general areas we hunted for other activities. Very cool unit! We saw a TON of elk. Looked over probably 30+ bulls before he sealed the deal.

Advice? Enjoy your hunt. Hunt hard. Be ready to go straight down and straight back up. The unit has a lot of very big country, and with a muzzy you're going to have to work to get to where they are at. They were grouped up good and really staging for the rut. This cooler weather will put you right in the thick of it!

A lot of 310-320 bulls running around down there. But realize score is just a number. Decide what you want to kill, and go do it. Have fun. I'm jealous!

·
Registered
856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the words guys, that really does help a lot. It is great to post and get such positive replies. At this point I am excited beyond words and ready to put the preparation to use and get after it. I am hoping the 2.5 days to scout before the actual hunt starts will pay off and we can locate some good bulls. Thanks again!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.