Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's first hunt will be this seasons rifle elk hunt. Want to show her a good time ;) I have questions about northern Utah any bull units. Cache east rich, south and north slope, kamas, chalk creek. Morgan south creek any info will be used. Kinda going in blind and need direction. Honey holes welcomed lol but seriously give me your 2 cents the areas you've hunted. Terrain atv access. Stuff like that

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol yeah I know. I really don't want to hunt the uintahs but that's the only area I know. Just curious what's out there I know chalk creeks private. Curious about the cache east rich unit. Thanks for your 2 cents

·
Registered
282 Posts
Very low elk population on that unit your asking about, went up last year to help some friends, probably one elk for every 20 hunters on the rifle hunt. Was up there this weekend for the youth hunt and the only Bulls we saw were on cwmu's. I would stick to the Uintas if you know that area.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Are u talking the Henries down south....famous for mule deer? If so, very few elk and the ones that are there the DWR wants to get rid of. The Uintahs would be a much better bet.

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
The total elk herd estimate on the Henrys is less than 25 .....

YES 25 TOTAL ELK......

So the dwr sells Any bull permits and unlimited cow control permits...
Good luck with that elk unit...:?...

Reactions: bowhunt3r4l1f3

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Ok Archin,

Here is a great opportunity for you to learn an area. Mr 30-06-hunter gets to hunt the any bull units right now with his disability waiver and he has some elk pegged. He also needs help in quartering/hauling and such as he posted in a different thread. So why don't you take the time to go help him hunt his any bull hunt right now and you can learn an area that you can return to and hunt come October. This way you 'earn' the knowledge of the area and he gets the help he needs--it's a match made in heaven with both parties giving up something and both parties gaining something.

That would be much cooler than internet scouting and you get to help someone. Plus nobody in their right mind is going to give you decent info regarding the any bull areas over the web. Good luck and I hope you go help him.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I took my wife on her first hunt in the big bull area. We never saw an animal and it made her not want to hunt again(no one wants to go hunting and not see anything). I would suggest learning a new area and get spike tags, you will see way more animals and in my own opinion have a lot better opportunity to harvest an animal. You will find elk on the spike units if you are willing to hike, as they are up most canyons. If you are not willing to learn a new area for the spike hunt, I would suggest the Soapstone area. I have personally been on some bulls in that area, it is not easy to find elk on that unit. The spike units are easier to find elk, it is just finding a spike. Good luck and hopefully her first hunt it a good one.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Ok Archin,

Here is a great opportunity for you to learn an area. Mr 30-06-hunter gets to hunt the any bull units right now with his disability waiver and he has some elk pegged. He also needs help in quartering/hauling and such as he posted in a different thread. So why don't you take the time to go help him hunt his any bull hunt right now and you can learn an area that you can return to and hunt come October. This way you 'earn' the knowledge of the area and he gets the help he needs--it's a match made in heaven with both parties giving up something and both parties gaining something.

That would be much cooler than internet scouting and you get to help someone. Plus nobody in their right mind is going to give you decent info regarding the any bull areas over the web. Good luck and I hope you go help him.
Yes please do. I know he would appreciate it big time. I was committed to helping him this weekend with my horses but sounds like someone spooked his elk out. Plus I twisted my ankle saturday so wouldnt have been able to help anyway. Now with my hunts coming up I wont be able to help anymore so im sure he would love to have the help

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks you for the insight and knowledge. Wild they can't have a elk/deer and bison unit. How cool would that be

1 - 14 of 14 Posts