Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the question is with this years extension of the any bull elk archery hunt to 9/22 do the archers have to wear orange from 9/18-9/22 of their hunt? I think that they do and here is why:

As most here know, the general archery any bull elk hunt was extended 5 days for the first time this year and now overlaps 5 days of the General Youth Any Bull hunt. The Big Game Guidebook on page 27 under the Youth Opportunities paragraph references the Youth Any Bull Elk hunt as the 'General' Youth Any Bull Elk hunt. If you read the Orange requirements in the Guidebook on page 42 it says archers have to wear orange when hunting inside of an area where a 'general' season any legal weapon bull elk hunt is occurring meaning the youth hunt is a 'General' hunt and therefore archers would need to wear orange.

I'm looking at this because my kid has the youth any bull elk tag and it got me thinking about it. Now I'm going to bet that the vast majority of archers do not wear orange during the last 5 days of their hunt. What is your opinion on it? Am I up in the night with my interpretation of the rules?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Correct any time the seasons overlap archery hunters are required to have orange. I was at little dell reservior on the extened archery where i was greeted by a wildlife officer and was not able to hunt because no orange

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am betting the DWR could hand out tickets like hot cakes on 9/18 by driving the Mirror lake highway, red cloud loop, and north slope road

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No. This has been discussed. The youth hunters have to wear orange. The archery hunters do not. The DWR does not feel there are enough tags overlapping in these larger areas to warrant the bowhunters to wear orange during the youth rifle hunt.
When did I miss that one? This is the last time we talked about it right?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Archers are required to wear hunter orange during the Youth Any Bull hunt. That was part of the agreement when the season was extended. The archery reps I heard from in the RACs said they were fine with that requirement to get more days afield. I hope the UDWR enforces it and am still not sure it is a good idea to have thousands of archers hunting over the top of the youth any weapon hunters.

The UDWR was going to propose that archers do not need hunter orange in the last RAC meetings, but that was tabled along with the technology issues.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will say that I am not too excited about running into archery hunters during the hunt. Any other year I would be stoked but go figure that the one year my kid draws this once in a lifetime tag (that I happen to know a lot about) I'm gonna be competing with archers for 5 of the 9 day hunt. I just hope my 12 year old little gal can stick it out in the back country for all 9 days as we are planning.

Seems like we have some differing opinions on this matter. If I get some time tomorrow I will call the DWR and report back my findings.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
put me in the "ye of little faith" category. anytime a rifle hunt is going on i feel safer not being noticed when getting close to game. once you get noticed then you have to contend with the volley of rounds coming over your head. back east i wouldn't even think of going without orange in most areas. orange has been a real life saver in thick woods.

·
Super Moderator
9,987 Posts
It isn't like you can't wear camouflage orange when bow hunting.

I have actually gotten closer to deer and elk while wearing orange during the rifle hunt than most bow hunters get when they are decked out in the latest camo.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I will say that I am not too excited about running into archery hunters during the hunt. ... go figure that the one year my kid draws this once in a lifetime tag (that I happen to know a lot about) I'm gonna be competing with archers for 5 of the 9 day hunt.
That sucks.

Kind of like the way LE archery elk hunters have to compete with upland game hunters (see Attacked by a Cow Elk thread), dog chase bear hunts, spike / cow elk hunters, Labor Day camping recreationists, Senior Citizen side-by-side jamboree groups, transplant round-ups, cattle drives, yupee hikers, lesbian retreats, ......

We all have to deal with competition. None of us get's an exclusive hunt when we draw a tag. You guys will be fine, and I'm confident your girl is going to have a great time.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
put me in the "ye of little faith" category. anytime a rifle hunt is going on i feel safer not being noticed when getting close to game. once you get noticed then you have to contend with the volley of rounds coming over your head.
Sounds like the intent to wearing orange is pointless in UT if this happens.

I've yet to be "shot at" while rifle hunting and not wearing any orange...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
That sucks.
Kind of like the way LE archery elk hunters have to compete with upland game hunters (see Attacked by a Cow Elk thread), dog chase bear hunts, spike / cow elk hunters, Labor Day camping recreationists, Senior Citizen side-by-side jamboree groups, transplant round-ups, cattle drives, yupee hikers, lesbian retreats, ......
We all have to deal with competition. None of us get's an exclusive hunt when we draw a tag. You guys will be fine, and I'm confident your girl is going to have a great time.
Not exactly an apples to apples comparison, but if it makes you feel better......

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That sucks.
I'm not sure why the attitude but I'm fine with all the group(s) competition you mentioned above save for the archers as those other groups are always there and have been for decades. This is new competition created by the state using the any bull hunts and the multi season tags as their dumping ground.

Let's say you drew a rifle LE hunt with 1 in 18 draw odds, that for years was the exclusive hunt on the mountain and now the state is gonna throw thousands of archers in trying for the same animal for more than half your hunt. You might very well come on the internet and simply state that you are not too excited about it and that's about it. I can guarantee you I wouldn't be a jacka$$ about your sentence expressing some disappointment so to be frank please take your not well thought out opinion and politely pound sand.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm not sure why the attitude but I'm fine with all the group(s) competition you mentioned above save for the archers as those other groups are always there and have been for decades. This is new competition created by the state using the any bull hunts and the multi season tags as their dumping ground.

Let's say you drew a rifle LE hunt with 1 in 18 draw odds, that for years was the exclusive hunt on the mountain and now the state is gonna throw thousands of archers in trying for the same animal for more than half your hunt. You might very well come on the internet and simply state that you are not too excited about it and that's about it. I can guarantee you I wouldn't be a jacka$$ about your sentence expressing some disappointment so to be frank please take your not well thought out opinion and politely pound sand.
But the LE rifle guys get the rut all to themselves. The archery LE guys get chit on by general deer hunters. spike and cow hunters. Upland hunters. Bear hunters. Not to mention terrible season dates with the least effective weapon In their hands. Where’s the sympathy for them?

your kid doesn’t have a LE Boulder or San Juan tag that they have waited 26 years for. OIL tag? Come on. It’s a tag for a poorly managed unit, with terrible success rates, where he basically has a 2 week head start than the rest of the state has. Big deal. Archery hunters have, do and will continue to get the shaft as far as elk hunts go in utah. That’s part of the game we play. However, YOU applied for the tag KNOWING the dates and the overlapping other hunts. If you didn’t like it, then you shouldn’t have applied. These units were set aside for OPPORTUNITY hunts. That’s exactly what you have. Nothing more. Take your entitled attitude and go pound sand yourself.

if you want an exclusive hunting experience for a rifle rut elk hunt, start applying your kid for that truly OIL LE tag.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Judas Priest Moose! I flippin said that I wasn't excited about sharing the mountain with the archers--that's it! Does that make me an entitled whiney weenie simply because I said I wasn't looking forward to this change?! You guys are something else sometimes--I never wrote a freakin essay on it and ya'll jump my sh!t like I wined and complained up and down which I did not. Frick man, tone it down, I'm not jumpin your sh1t nor PBH but ya'll are out for blood. Way to make the forum less fun fellas, always appreciated

·
Registered
988 Posts
Judas Priest Moose! I flippin said that I wasn't excited about sharing the mountain with the archers--that's it! Does that make me an entitled whiney weenie simply because I said I wasn't looking forward to this change?! You guys are something else sometimes--I never wrote a freakin essay on it and ya'll jump my sh!t like I wined and complained up and down which I did not. Frick man, tone it down, I'm not jumpin your sh1t nor PBH but ya'll are out for blood. Way to make the forum less fun fellas, always appreciated
it does make you sound entitled. I’d bet those general OTC bowhunters aren’t too thrilled sharing the mountains with a bunch of inexperienced kids looking to shoot at anything that moves.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Huh, when the idea was presented and passed last Fall, bowhunters were thrilled. But if it is going to be such a problem for them, maybe we should just go back to the original dates.....

And the inexperienced kids argument is probably the best reason to have it just be them hunting elk during that week. I notice that someone was pushing for the removal of the orange requirement for archers during the Youth hunt- didn't take long for someone to move the goal line in their favor. I bet it wasn't the youth elk hunters.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Moose is angry about something. Maybe people haven't been believing all his stories at the local "pro-shops". I dunno...

Lucky me, I just activated the 'ignore' option so I won't see his replies anymore (more for Moose because anything he says to me going forward I won't see).

·
Registered
988 Posts
Moose is angry about something. Maybe people haven't been believing all his stories at the local "pro-shops". I dunno...

Lucky me, I just activated the 'ignore' option so I won't see his replies anymore (more for Moose because anything he says to me going forward I won't see).
I can back up what im saying. Not sure you can… 🤔

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So I called the Vernal office of the DWR (435-781-9453) and the nice lady at the desk told me that they just had a meeting about the archers having to wear orange and it is true. ARCHERS HUNTING ANYBULL UNITS 9/18-9/22 WILL NEED TO WEAR ORANGE. If ya don't believe me give them a call or better yet call the game warden (Torrey Christofferson) and ask yourself.

I would suggest that if you gave out wrong information in this thread above that you go back and edit your post accordingly. That would be the responsible thing to do and would show character.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts