Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I read the regs, you get a any bull tag on a first come first serve basis, when you go and get your tag do you tell them the area you want to hunt? If so I know this is kind of early but I want to get scouting as soon as I can get into the mountains, what areas are the best for any bull? Any help will be appreciated. Mainly in Northern Utah.

Thanks

·
Registered
343 Posts
When you go to purchase a tag over the counter, you do just tell them if you want "any bull" or "spike only". Pretty simple. As for what area is best....I'm still trying to find that out myself.
:wink:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So the area doesnt matter just as long as it is an any bull or spike unit? So if I got a spike tag I could hunt in any spike unit in the state?
I figured it would be a lot of work but I just have no idea where to start looking.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is my thinking correct? I think that I have narrowed it down to a unit to start scouting but the snow will have to melt A LOT before I go up there. Unless I get really ambitious and strap on the snowshoes and get out.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
If the snow is up to your waist......don't bother. The elk aren't there and won't be there until the snow meltsl a lot. Now Moose are a different story. It is my understanding that with an "any bull" tag a hunter may hunt in the spike only areas as long as they shoot a SPIKE and no bigger. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
UZ-A-BOW said:
It is my understanding that with an "any bull" tag a hunter may hunt in the spike only areas as long as they shoot a SPIKE and no bigger. Good luck!
Only if it is an archery season anybull tag.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
UZ-A-BOW said:
It is my understanding that with an "any bull" tag a hunter may hunt in the spike only areas as long as they shoot a SPIKE and no bigger. Good luck!
I am pretty certain that that is NOT the case; your areas are specific...

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
From the proclamation:

Utah has three general elk seasons-the archery season, the general (any weapon) season and the muzzleloader season.
These seasons are held on two types of units-any bull elk units and spike bull elk units.
If you obtain an archery permit, you can hunt on all of the any bull and spike bull units in the state. If you obtain a general season or general muzzleloader permit, you must hunt on the type of unit specified on your permit. For example, if you obtain an any bull elk permit, you may hunt only on any bull elk units. If you obtain a spike bull permit, you may hunt only on spike bull units.

If you're scouting for animals, any scouting before June is a waste of time and gas. Meantime, the best way to get acquainted with the land is to get some good maps together and spend some serious time on Google Earth. This process will generate some questions - write them down and use them to organize your scouting time. Come August, start checking out the water sources to find out which ones have dried up over the summer.

Elk can and will move considerable distances in a short amount of time and the bowhunters and pre-season scouters will typically move the elk. So scout the land, not the animals until a couple weeks before your hunt.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Finnegan said:
If you're scouting for animals, any scouting before June is a waste of time and gas. Meantime, the best way to get acquainted with the land is to get some good maps together and spend some serious time on Google Earth. This process will generate some questions - write them down and use them to organize your scouting time. Come August, start checking out the water sources to find out which ones have dried up over the summer.

Elk can and will move considerable distances in a short amount of time and the bowhunters and pre-season scouters will typically move the elk. So scout the land, not the animals until a couple weeks before your hunt.
This is good information. Could you expound on what sorts of things you look for on the maps and what types of questions you write down.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
Look for water holes. good canyons. That what im doing right now. then when i cna get in the mountions im going to be marking where I see big numbers of deer and elk. then go hike in and see what I can find. good luck. im learning as i go on and by people on here with there tips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts