Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,777 Posts
Hi! I am a complete newbie to the beautiful state of Utah and saw your reply here about succesful spike only hunting. I am from Texas and me and my son will be taking a trip out there to try and harvest a Spike. I know most people are afraid to share but was wondering if you wouldnt mind sharing some good tips on my best chance in getting a spike bull (Area/Unit). I have yet to get an elk. Any tips or info will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!!! God Bless!!

Cesar
Just follow the sea of orange clad hunters.

Going into a area blind no matter where it is, even if it is the best elk country in the world you are going to have your work cut out for yourself and your boy. But no matter where you go there will be plenty of others out there that know the area a lot better.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hi! I am a complete newbie to the beautiful state of Utah and saw your reply here about succesful spike only hunting. I am from Texas and me and my son will be taking a trip out there to try and harvest a Spike. I know most people are afraid to share but was wondering if you wouldnt mind sharing some good tips on my best chance in getting a spike bull (Area/Unit). I have yet to get an elk. Any tips or info will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!!! God Bless!!

Cesar
In my opinion spike hunts are funner than OTC any legal bull. Spike only units are LE units so you will usually get to see and enjoy watching some big bulls.

I have shot 2 spikes in October over the years. One was with his mom and they were going solo and avoiding the big groups of elk. I think a lot of the spikes will find refuge areas where people aren't bothering because they have been pressured by the time the rifle hunt starts.

The other spike I shot was hanging around the outskirts of a bachelor bull and his harem. The elk were still rutting heavy that year where I hunt in the southern part of the state.

Goodluck

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Just wait at the truck and let all the pumpkins push them to you.

Seriously though, spike hunts are not easy. I've hunted elk every year for roughly 8 years now and have never shot a spike or been with someone who has.

The only elk we have ever killed were cows when we are lucky enough to get a permit. Last one of those was in 2016.

Sure is nice being on the mountain watching elk though.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
839 Posts
Don’t underestimate those 1.5 year old spikes, especially during the rifle hunt. Generally speaking I think they are the smartest elk alive on the LE/spike units. They see far more pressure than any other elk age class or sex. The archery, they can be pretty stupid. I’ve shot several that I ran into on accident, and they just stood there and watched me do it as the rest of the herd took off. But by the time the rifle hunt rolls around, they have a pretty good idea what’s going on. If you can get lucky and find one fast opening morning, that’ll be as easy as it gets. But once those rifles start going off, they head for the trees and private land and don’t move until it’s over. Once that hunt ends and things calm down, they come back out and by the time the muzzy hunt rolls around they are pretty easy to find. Getting within range is another story. Each hunt type/season has its own challenges. But I think the rifle hunt is the hardest one to find success on consistently. I’d do the archery or muzzy hunt over the rifle if I had to pick.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Its probably also cheaper to buy a beef then go elk hunting if your after the meat. I hunt the general bull usually but due to work and not being able to get a tag I may try archery spike since I'll be guiding limited entry bull during that time anyways I may get a day or two to myself to try and stick me a 11 pointer

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Beef are running $2000 to $3100 atm. I checked just a couple days ago. Hay is $450 a ton so beef prices are going to be sky rocket high for a long time. Chicken and Pork are already high and rising.

-DallanC

·
Registered
242 Posts
Beef are running $2000 to $3100 atm. I checked just a couple days ago. Hay is $450 a ton so beef prices are going to be sky rocket high for a long time. Chicken and Pork are already high and rising.

-DallanC
I buy two a year, October of this year was $2300, the one I just paid for Monday was $3500. I'm looking forward to hunting season 😁

·
Super Moderator
9,777 Posts
My nephew had two whole steers just given to him last summer. But he had to take them to Vernal to be slaughtered and packaged. The steers came from the St George area. The rancher had to get rid of them.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I buy two a year, October of this year was $2300, the one I just paid for Monday was $3500. I'm looking forward to hunting season 😁
I don't know prices but it seems like thing will get worse as ranchers are forced to sell off cattle due to drought. When supply and demand get to be unbalanced prices seem to react accordingly.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hay is $450 a ton so beef prices are going to be sky rocket high for a long time.

-DallanC
I know it was hard to get this spring, but I still only paid $180/ton-bale. Maybe my guys are just being nice?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Well I dunno about the whole state but the fields we lease just cut then got rained on for about 4 days so thats a bummer. About 25,000 acres worth and probably half was just rowed up better refluff it and let it sit again

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
We had two days of almost no rain. I watched one field get cut (Saturday?), then they were bailing it last night. They got it done just in time for it to rain again this morning.

I just put out half a sack of wild grass mix, then got the hawg out and mowed the sage brush over the top of the seed. Hopefully all this rain will result in some crested wheatgrass....

21 - 34 of 34 Posts