Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking over the calibers I own, and feel like I have quite a few in the same range: 25-06, 6.5 Sherman, 7RM. In order to round it out, I've considered adding a 338 to the mix for a dedicated elk or larger game rifle. I've shot my step dads 338 WM and was surprised that I didn't mind it too much- granted, I was only shooting 225 grain pills. I'm just curious to hear what 338s you hunt with: 338 WM, 338-06, 338 Federal, etc.

Am I out of my mind for wanting to step up a bit?

·
1,669 Posts
I have a .338 win mag and love it.

The only issue is the weight of the rifle. A big scope, bipod, and 26 inch barrel add up quickly.

I shoot the Hornady 225 SST out of it. I am going to try the 300 grain HSM Berger VLD bullets at some shooken up pop bottles to see the impact of the Berger VLD, I heard they are like setting off a bomb in game and I want to kill a pop bottle and dig the slug out of the dirt pile to see.

·
Administrator
21,440 Posts
Everyone in my neck of the woods has a .338 something or other. The 338 Win Mags, 338 RUM, and 338 Lapuas are popular with the long range road hunters over here, especially on the late cow/calf hunts.

My son-in-law has a 338-378 Weatherby howitzer thingie. He uses a flour scoop to load powder in the cases.

Like MuscleWhitefish said, my .338s are heavy and I rarely use them.

Awhile back there was a 338 long range craze. You couldn't go to the range without a coupla guys rocking the house with 338 RUMs and Lapuas. Screw that, it's all 6.5 stuff now.

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
Personally I like calibers I can afford to shoot.:mrgreen: I don't see myself needing anything larger than a .300 Win mag for the type of hunting/shooting that I do. Certainly nothing wrong with a .338 or wanting to go bigger either.8)

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
Last spring I sat next to a guy when he rolled an 8' 6" brown bear with a .338 Win Mag. It ran about 30 yards and rolled back down to beach. Pretty impressive. I've shot a few .338 Mags and they're not as bad as you might think. I've never shot an elk with a gun but I'm betting you could thunder-dick an elk DRT pretty easily.

·
Super Moderator
3,528 Posts
I've been on a few elk hunts with different people who have shot something huge like you are talking about - 30-378, 338 WM, etc. and to be honest, I can't say the elk died any quicker than ones I've witnessed being killed with a 270, 30-06, 7mm, etc. For me, quality bullets and proper placement trump bore size to a certain degree.

Only you can decide if you really need/want another rifle as a dedicated elk/bigger game rifle. I'd rather spend the money on hunts!

·
Super Moderator
9,999 Posts
I love my .340 Weatherby mag. It shoots 225 grain Barnes TTSX bullet so good that I quit my load development when I got to them.

If you are going to shoot a large magnum rifle you have to reload. Weatherby offers the same round that I shoot for around $110 for a box of 20. I can reload them for a little over $20.00 for a box of 20.

It took care of all my African animals this last May with ranges of 90 yards on a impala to 429 yards on a spring buck.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Everyone needs to own at least one .338 don't they?
Depends what you want to do. We have 2 rifle rig setups around here. One for packing and one for getting out of the truck and laying down and shooting far.

Guys are right, you really don't need one. If I could do it again I think I would have a 300winmag that is heavy enough to shoot far but also packable and kill everything you want to kill from close up to 1000 yards.

·
Administrator
21,440 Posts
Everyone needs to own at least one .338 don't they?
Depends what you want to do. We have 2 rifle rig setups around here. One for packing and one for getting out of the truck and laying down and shooting far.

Guys are right, you really don't need one. If I could do it again I think I would have a 300winmag that is heavy enough to shoot far but also packable and kill everything you want to kill from close up to 1000 yards.
After getting a 338 the 300 WM seemed 'just like all the other 30 calibers'. The 338 filled the gap between the 30 cal and the 375 cal bullet weight options so I'm thinkin I could do with out the 300 WM and keep the 338.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 338-06 AI is actually a really cool, diverse, and useful cartridge. Did I mention cool? Like a spoiled kid's 35 Whelen.-----SS
SS - I like your style of thinking - the 338-06 AI definitely has a cool factor to it! I've read up on it a bit and know a lot don't feel like there is much of an "improvement", but I'm sure it would do pretty well with a 25 or 26" barrel.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Sharp shoulders and straight case walls make everything better. My friend who shoots a 338-06 AI has a 24" barrel and shoots 225 Nosler Accubonds in the 2700FPS range. Recoil is manageable without a brake which gets dicey for my tolerance with any of the bigger 338's. I can not effectively shoot the 338RUM without a brake even in a Sendero weight rifle. I once had an Accumark in 338-378 WBY and it was challenging even with the brake using earplugs under earmuffs. ------SS

PS. Don't forget the 330 Dakota. Pure style there.

·
Administrator
21,440 Posts
Sharp shoulders and straight case walls make everything better. My friend who shoots a 338-06 AI has a 24" barrel and shoots 225 Nosler Accubonds in the 2700FPS range. Recoil is manageable without a brake which gets dicey for my tolerance with any of the bigger 338's. I can not effectively shoot the 338RUM without a brake even in a Sendero weight rifle. I once had an Accumark in 338-378 WBY and it was challenging even with the brake using earplugs under earmuffs. ------SS

My son-in-law shot an elk with his 338-378 a long long way away, like from here down to my neighbor's mailbox. Used a 300-grain bullet, 'bout as long as a Camel cigarette. Hit it in the backbone and cut the poor animal in half.

Personally, I would a just snuck over to it and then shot it; I mean, we had to walk over to it anyway.

Reactions: waspocrew

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
I like to own/shoot/choose a rifle by bullet weight and velocity. Most rifles have a sweet spot within this range, i.e. 30 cal rifles really like 165gr bullets at around 2800-3100fps. Most modern rifles find their best accuracy somewhere in that velocity range. So, if you feel the need to deliver say a 225gr bullet at that velocity, study external ballistic charts and find a rifle where those numbers fall in the middle of it's performance range, i.e, if you want to deliver a best performing 200 grain bullet within that range you may want to look at a 300mag instead of a 30-06.
As to your actual question, yes, a .338 mag of some sort would fill your collection nicely. The other stuff you have is all really a little light for elk(I know, I know...please don start in with the "oh yeah, my .223 is plenty for elk, it's all about bullet placement" and crap like that...)

·
Administrator
21,440 Posts
What become of the 338 Federal? They have good numbers for 185 to 210 bullets. I have a friend in Florida that uses one on pigs, melons, and gallon milk jugs.

I've always wanted a 338 Federal. Anyone here have one?

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I have a .338 federal. I haven't taken any game with it yet. it's light weight with 16 1/2" barrel. I like the 42-49 gr charges though. powder goes a long way. 200 gr hot cors most accurate so far but haven't played too much with it. want to try some of the lighter barnes ttsx

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

The 338-06 AI has definitely been on my radar for a while now, but I've tried to consider other options as well. I like the idea of having something different and don't mind forming brass, but a factory chambering (338 WM) may be easier. I know 338-06 A Square ammunition could be fired in the chamber, but I can't say that I've really seen any of that laying around.

I appreciate everyone's input so far!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts