Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just seen how many TRADITIONAL BOWHUNTERS there are (no cams)(LET OFF) Just STICK AND STRING Cause My hats off to the hunter who gets with in 20 yards pulls back and watches the mystical flight of the arrow. and Im proud to say I am one of them. :D

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Did for some 30 years, but then became a sell out and joined the high tech mob. Sometimes I wonder if it was a good decision, but after seeing what my new arrow launching machine did to my buck this year, I'm a happy hunter.

I still shoot a recurve for fun and have ambitions of building a Welsh longbow.

·
Administrator
21,449 Posts
Finnegan said:
Did for some 30 years, but then became a sell out and joined the high tech mob. Sometimes I wonder if it was a good decision, but after seeing what my new arrow launching machine did to my buck this year, I'm a happy hunter...........................
What Finnegan said.

Still use recurve for rabbits though.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I asked was if there were any fellow Traditional Bowhunters on here. If you use your compounds and love'em great all power to you. But to put down someone who dosent do it with new Archery equipment makes them less of a hunter dosent make sense it takes just as much skill if not more to "BOWHUNT" Hunt with what you like just "Pass it on" to as many as you can to keep hunting for others to enjoy.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I shoot a longbow... and LOVE IT!

My hats off to the hunter who gets with in 20 yards pulls back and watches the mystical flight of the arrow.
I seem to find myself following these words more and more lately.
Like winds and sunsets, wild things were taken for granted until progress began to do away with them. Now we face the question whether a still higher 'standard of living' is worth its cost in things natural, wild and free. For us of the minority, the opportunity to see geese is more important than television." -- Aldo Leopold
IMO - I haven't given up propane, gas powered vehicles, and all that good jazz but self imposed limits regardless of weapon is good for wildlife.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I have shot a traditional recurve off and on over the years. I still shoot my compound alot though. I have been really longing for a longbow and I think next spring I am going to make that happen.

Mark

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
north slope said:
I have heard of these 'traditionalist' but for the most part I think that it is just a myth....
It will always be a myth to you until you come out of the closet. :?

It's funny how "traditionalists" are siad to be so limited in their abilities with the bow they choose to shoot. To me, it is just the opposite. The ONLY limitation I see with traditional gear is you need to be close to your game to be leathal. But how it getting closer a limitation? Getting closer just adds more insurance that you'll seal the deal. Having to get close makes you a better hunter. Will you get more shot oportunities? No. But, the odds of making a clean kill go way up on the shots you do get, and, you'll rarely miss. (who could at 15 yards? :shock: )

To me, shooting a compound was full of limitations. The bow has to be shot prefectly level, the gadgetry needed is just more stuff to lose and have fail on you in the moment of truth. Judging yardage is always a pain and almost never fail-safe even with a rangfinder. Cut charts, sights, release aids, stablizers, level bubbles, sight lights, peeps, fall away rests, rubber baby buggy bumpers gued on every corner of your bow to make it quiet, and a 97 piece tool set to keep it all working! Aaaargh!

I'm a simple minded guy and like the simple aproach to shooting a bow. For me, Traditional is the only way to fly. :D

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
I'm a simple minded guy and like the simple aproach to shooting a bow. For me, Traditional is the only way to fly.
You said it not me. :p

I told Tex a while back if/when I drew my LE archery elk tag, I would switch back to traditional after my hunt. Since I WILL draw my tag in 2008, Tex and I need to get a game plan going on my new set-up for 2009.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
proutdoors said:
I'm a simple minded guy and like the simple aproach to shooting a bow. For me, Traditional is the only way to fly.
You said it not me. :p

I told Tex a while back if/when I drew my LE archery elk tag, I would switch back to traditional after my hunt. Since I WILL draw my tag in 2008, Tex and I need to get a game plan going on my new set-up for 2009.
Well, Pro, this is really simple. Get a bow and start shooting it... :shock:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
WOW, that is simple.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
TEX-O-BOB said:
Like riding a bike man, like riding a bike... 8)

If you can chew gum and walk, you can shoot a traditional bow. :D
I mat be in trouble. :evil:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I shoot both, hunt with both and have harvested with both. i guess i am a real mess. did have likely my best hunt with a stick and string a couple years back. shot a 6x5 mulie one evening while on my way to scout out some elk i had seen way off. then next morning i was on the elk and at 5:05 pm shot a really great 6x6 bull. two shots and two great animals. oh wait, i did shoot three arrows first one at the bull went over his back at 18 yards+-

·
Registered
196 Posts
Pick a spot :wink:
KUDOS
That would be an exceptional day afield regardless of weapon.

·
Registered
623 Posts
OK OK OK, now gents, lets get this thread back on track and talk about what the original poster really meant. When anyone asks if one does 'it' the traditional way, he could only be thinking about one thing. Now go back and re -read each of the posts, and think of what he really was asking and it is really kind of funny entertainment.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
EPEK said:
OK OK OK, now gents, lets get this thread back on track and talk about what the original poster really meant. When anyone asks if one does 'it' the traditional way, he could only be thinking about one thing. Now go back and re -read each of the posts, and think of what he really was asking and it is really kind of funny entertainment.
:?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts