Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, last year was my first year hunting..needless to say, I'm addicted. With waterfowl season coming up i'm itchin to go again.. can't wait!

So I guess I'm a foot soldier, no boat.. YET! But I got a big ol bag to haul a dozen duck decoys around. I went to BRBR once last year and had a good time but I'm in Lehi. I hunted on my own a lot last year due to a flaky buddy, so I decided to try to teach myself and go to Utah Lake, specifically Powell Slough, it was hit and miss down there and pretty frustrating at times. I started to get frustrated with all the walking, getting stuck in the mud, setting out decoys, in hopes of getting a few ducks to lock up on me. I did get a couple ducks each time I went, but I am looking to branch out, and I am wanting to have a few hunts where I reach my bag limit for the day.

Anyway, I plan on scouting out Farmington Bay, BRBR, and those Northern areas so I can get to know them a little better. But as mentioned, I live in Lehi.. for the days where I can't drive 2 hours North or if I want to do a quick morning/evening hunt before/after work does anybody have any good advice for the Utah Lake area while on foot? Is the north side or the west side any good?

I don't expect anybody to give up any of their secret spots, so I'm not even going to ask.. I know it takes a lot of time and effort. What I am asking, is a point in the right direction in the Utah County area. I just need some help/advice from the more experienced waterfowlers out there.

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am up north, so I don't know much about down in Utah county. However the dwr has a list of wma's, along with interactive maps of them. Check out the ones near you here, about halfway down the page.

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting-in-utah/114-hunting/waterfowl/314-waterfowl-hunting.html
Yeah, I've got all those printed out, I am going to go and check out some of those areas, closest one to me is Farmington Bay.. about 1 1/2 hour away or so.. I just need familiarize myself with the northern hunting areas.

Thanks for your response!

·
1,666 Posts
Well, last year was my first year hunting..needless to say, I'm addicted. With waterfowl season coming up i'm itchin to go again.. can't wait!

So I guess I'm a foot soldier, no boat.. YET! But I got a big ol bag to haul a dozen duck decoys around. I went to BRBR once last year and had a good time but I'm in Lehi. I hunted on my own a lot last year due to a flaky buddy, so I decided to try to teach myself and go to Utah Lake, specifically Powell Slough, it was hit and miss down there and pretty frustrating at times. I started to get frustrated with all the walking, getting stuck in the mud, setting out decoys, in hopes of getting a few ducks to lock up on me. I did get a couple ducks each time I went, but I am looking to branch out, and I am wanting to have a few hunts where I reach my bag limit for the day.

Anyway, I plan on scouting out Farmington Bay, BRBR, and those Northern areas so I can get to know them a little better. But as mentioned, I live in Lehi.. for the days where I can't drive 2 hours North or if I want to do a quick morning/evening hunt before/after work does anybody have any good advice for the Utah Lake area while on foot? Is the north side or the west side any good?

I don't expect anybody to give up any of their secret spots, so I'm not even going to ask.. I know it takes a lot of time and effort. What I am asking, is a point in the right direction in the Utah County area. I just need some help/advice from the more experienced waterfowlers out there.

I appreciate the help.
Best Advice I can give you is Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts