Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The past few years, I have spent a fair bit of time in the spring, fall, and winter on the Lower Provo. This should not be considered terribly surprising, since the river runs right by my office and I can be from the office to the "blue ribbon" section in about 10-15 minutes. As many of you know, the predominant fish numerically in there is the brown trout, with a smaller but stable population of chunky rainbow trout as well. While I'm a looooong ways from mastering this river, I usually have pretty decent action when I go up and I generally use similar flies and rigging each trip.

Anyways I've noticed 4 types of trips when I go up there.

1. Both the browns and rainbows are biting well. (those tend to be the epic days)

2. I catch almost all browns and few to no rainbows.

3. I catch rainbows and few browns.

4. Both species aren't biting much. (the duds)

I've noticed this in other multispecies fisheries too, and not just flyfishing. One species is going off, but others that are around are slow. Sometimes, it switches around in a single trip. I've always wondered why that is.

Anyways, today was a rainbow day up there. :cool:

Hey, numbskull, next time get the indicator away from the camera before taking the picture.

A few browns did also show up to provide some tugs, just to tell me they were still there, but they were outnumbered by the bows in the count.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I've definitely noticed the same thing on he Lower Provo. For whatever reason I've come to prefer the rainbow days. Nothing better than pulling some of those footballs out of the deeper holes.

That said, I wouldn't complain about a day with mostly Browns either. Looks like a good day on the river!

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Those bows look like chewed up hatchery rejects.

And a bobber? Fishing with a bobber? Really? As I always tell one of my fishing buddies that likes to nymph, "If' I'd known you were gonna be bait fishin', I wouldn't a brought ya!"

Cool pics though. Love that lower Provo. In the years I used to fish it regularly, the only places I'd catch rainbows were the first mile below Deer Creek, and then in Provo, in the section between Food 4 Less and 5th West. Browns everywhere else in between.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Those bows look like chewed up hatchery rejects.

And a bobber? Fishing with a bobber? Really? As I always tell one of my fishing buddies that likes to nymph, "If' I'd known you were gonna be bait fishin', I wouldn't a brought ya!"

Cool pics though. Love that lower Provo. In the years I used to fish it regularly, the only places I'd catch rainbows were the first mile below Deer Creek, and then in Provo, in the section between Food 4 Less and 5th West. Browns everywhere else in between.
1. "Those bows look like chewed up hatchery rejects. "

Only #4 was torn up, the other bows had pristine fins still. That was a shame because #4 is a tank. Whereas, they don't plant the AFL section, and I caught him a long ways upstream from Vivian park, where they do occasionally throw in a few worn out brood stock, I suspect he got sloshed out of Deer creek at some point and lost a big chunk of caudal fin in the experience.

2. "And a bobber? Fishing with a bobber? Really? As I always tell one of my fishing buddies that likes to nymph, "If' I'd known you were gonna be bait fishin', I wouldn't a brought ya!"

Yeah, yeah, I use a bobber. I also use a graphite rod instead of bamboo, wear a dirty broncos ball cap instead of a tweed one, and fish in grubby, dirty 9 year old waders. (at least they are Simms;-) ) I sometimes even fish in my work attire and look like a total dork. I'm an anti purist. What can I say. :) There wasn't a whole lot happening there yesterday for the dry fly elitist. ;-)

3. "Cool pics though. Love that lower Provo. In the years I used to fish it regularly, the only places I'd catch rainbows were the first mile below Deer Creek, and then in Provo, in the section between Food 4 Less and 5th West. Browns everywhere else in between."

I think things have changed some now. I catch decent bows throughout the entire "blue ribbon" section and in conversing with guides and other knowledgable types I know, it seems that they sustain themselves largely by natural reproduction. I think a few also get sloshed out of DC like our pal #4 too. It's really nice to have the bows there. They get pretty big and fat there and their numbers are such that they don't stunt, like the browns sometimes do. It seems like the browns are getting bigger too the last 2 years.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You work in the Riverwoods area too? I better watch out what I say about Utah Lake in the parking lot, I might get punched in the mouth.

About the LoPro purists, I do enjoy drifting my favorite bait in view of a guy in $800 worth of gear using a $800 rod, hitting every visible part of the river with laser beam accuracy because I'm using a water filled bobber, catching my limit in an hour and putting them in the oven while he's still trying to get the perfect presentation on a PMD 10 feet in front of him. But you know...to each their own.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Catherder knows I'm just messing with him a little bit.

But - it should be noted that fish pictures with the bobber showing deduct at least 1-2 hunting cred points, unless they also show a fly tied with feathers from a ptarmigan, in which case, it increases the forum cred score. Yea, I know it's an obscure rule, for sure down in the fine print - but an important one too! :)

Reactions: wyogoob and Kwalk3

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Catherder knows I'm just messing with him a little bit.

But - it should be noted that fish pictures with the bobber showing deduct at least 1-2 hunting cred points, unless they also show a fly tied with feathers from a ptarmigan, in which case, it increases the forum cred score. Yea, I know it's an obscure rule, for sure down in the fine print - but an important one too! :)
Yeah, it was a rough day in the cred department. The sowbugs I was getting them on were all bought from Sportsmans Warehouse and not tied by me, (-1 cred) I had the river to myself because it is a bit off color, whereas a REAL fly angler catches a bunch of fish in a crowded river, (-1) as well as the aforementioned bobber deduction, which is deserved. I'm a loser.-)O(-

I think I am a lost cause in the cred department too. Can you tie a sowbug with ptarmigan feathers? I did get one on a hares ear nymph. Maybe I could use ptarmigan to tie those.

Probably moot because Goob is the only person I know that has ptarmigan feathers and he probably uses the feathers in some exotic recipe. ;-)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Yeah, it was a rough day in the cred department. The sowbugs I was getting them on were all bought from Sportsmans Warehouse and not tied by me, (-1 cred) I had the river to myself because it is a bit off color, whereas a REAL fly angler catches a bunch of fish in a crowded river, (-1) as well as the aforementioned bobber deduction, which is deserved. I'm a loser.-)O(-

I think I am a lost cause in the cred department too. Can you tie a sowbug with ptarmigan feathers? I did get one on a hares ear nymph. Maybe I could use ptarmigan to tie those.

Probably moot because Goob is the only person I know that has ptarmigan feathers and he probably uses the feathers in some exotic recipe. ;-)
I think Goob mostly saves Ptarmigan feathers for garnish. It increases the cred of every dish he makes.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
It's funny people talking trash on someone else's successful technique. Fish aren't always hitting dry flys. Guess you just stay home on those days?
Hmmm. Better hone up on your skillz. I always use dry flies and haven't had a day where fish aren't hitting them especially on the Provo.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I've never fished the Provo. However I do fish a lot. And although it may be possible to catch fish on a dry any time. It isn't going to be the best or most effective way all the time . Also some of the better rivers have so much going on under water that fish almost never rise. Fish how you want. Good for you. If you won't ever throw a nymph rig. Your game is week.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I may have taken the first comments wrong. Sorry about that if that's the case. Stupid to take anything to seriously on an internet forum. For all any one knows I don't even own a fly rod.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
:mrgreen:
My game is weak. But it's my game. >>O
And aren't YOU talking trash on someone else's successful technique?
Fish don't always have to be rising to fish dries. Part of the fun is to get them to rise.
Anyway, someone once said, "We all fish for pleasure, I for mine and you for yours."
Smile, tip your hat, and carry on.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
:mrgreen:
My game is weak. But it's my game. >>O
And aren't YOU talking trash on someone else's successful technique?
Fish don't always have to be rising to fish dries. Part of the fun is to get them to rise.
Anyway, someone once said, "We all fish for pleasure, I for mine and you for yours."
Smile, tip your hat, and carry on.
Is this your way of saying you are a bait fisherman too? ;-)

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is this your way of saying you are a bait fisherman too? ;-)
I suspect that Chris Christie is about as likely to go with the salad or Ted Nugent to join PETA as HND is likely to use bait. (For newcomers to the thread, that means using a nymph fly under a strike indicator.)

(Semi)Seriously, Gary, I think these rants by you about "bait fishing" is indicative that you are sulking about the dry fly hatches ending on the great streams in your neck of the woods. Do us all a favor and for heavens sake, go tie some scuds and hares ears, have your wife go to the fly shop and purchase a bag of indicators (I know, as a purist, you can't be caught dead buying such contraband), and go to one of the nearby blue ribbon streams and have some fun. You might then realize what you were missing and quit badgering us dirtbags having fun fishing nymphs in the autumn. ;-) I promise your fancypants bamboo rod will not spontaneously combust if you do. :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts