Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Growing up I never really thought that I would make the jump to bow hunting. I loved rifles and rifle hunting. A couple years ago my wife and I took the plunge into bow hunting and have had some wonderful success. I find myself obsessing about bows and bow hunting all the time now. When I first started I didn't think I would ever become one of those purist archery guys, but I can sort of feel it coming on now. When I think about putting an animal in a 9 power scope and shooting them with a weapon that is capable of killing them from hundreds of yards out it just leaves me feeling cold. Hunting with a bow resonates so much more with me now! I think I would still have a great time chasing jack rabbits with a .22 or coyotes with a rifle of any flavor. I might be interested in using a rifle on a late season cow tag, but that would probably be about it for big game.

I wish I would have gotten into archery sooner. I have 18 points for limited entry elk now! That is several more points than I need for most all the units in the state. I think I could even draw an archery tag for the coveted San Juan tag, but I don't know if the quality of the San Juan is so much greater than the Beaver, Monroe, Boulder for me to choose it since it is so much further away from me and I basically know nothing about it. Anybody have any thoughts on this? After I draw elk it looks like LE pronghorn can be drawn fairly quickly for archery tags. Bonus!

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Me personally I enjoy hunting with a bow or a rifle. Each have very different challenges. Deer can be tougher to find with a rifle due to all the pressure. I for one like that challenge just as much as sneaking in on one within bow range. Or sitting on a spot all day. As far as the elk tag San Juan hands down incredible bulls down there.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I love hunting and there's nothing I love hunting more than muley bucks. If I hunt with a rifle, I get to hunt 2-5 days each year before I tag out. Find him - BANG - it's over. But hunting with a bow, I get more than 3 months to chase big bucks.

While hunting 1/4 of the year hasn't done much for my personal relationships, I suspect it may have prevented my incarceration and/or court ordered referral to a mental institution on numerous occasions.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Bow Only for the past 44 years. Did the Rifle hunt for bout 8 years before.. To nuts for me. Altogether combine when you could do both 52 years

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I pretty much find myself hunting big game exclusively with bow these days, at least for the most part. However, I will use a rifle for my off-range oryx hunt next year in Feb. Those critters can be a little tough to get with a bow, but it is doable. All you need is time which, unfortunately, I do not have.

As far as the San Juan unit goes - I wouldn't waste my time ;-);-). I hunt it in the General Archery Elk season for the when one day comes I might get lucky enough to draw that tag. Definitely some awesome bulls in them thar hills - I put my hands on a set of horns this year that went 396. My brother is doing the shoulder mount.

·
Senior Goof
3,620 Posts
New to Archery but it is definitely my favorite.

That said, with 18 points, I might elect for higher success rates. You can do this hunt once in your life. The experience with a bow would be amazing, but being successful after 18 years is important to most. I say archery hunt spikes there, use the points for rifle or ml.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts

That said, with 18 points, I might elect for higher success rates. You can do this hunt once in your life. The experience with a bow would be amazing, but being successful after 18 years is important to most. I say archery hunt spikes there, use the points for rifle or ml.
I agree - but man - to have a 375 class bull 20 yards from you bellering...:). I get excited to shoot cows with a bow still, when that stops, I will likely be dead.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I've been hunting bow only since they went to choose your weapon in 88 or 89. Nothing against rifle hunting, just love trying to get close to the critters. Trying is the operative word here though :)

Cheers,
Pete

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I know what you are saying, but perhaps punching the tag isn't the be all end all for me. Maybe having an awesome hunt where I come up short would be more fulfilling for me than punching my tag using a method that doesn't have much appeal to me anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts