Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
lately my interest has grown in getting in a nice custom build made for hunting purposes, thats still light (as in lighter than match or bench rest style rifles) but still more accurate than factory builds. I'm looking at getting it in a short action big game gun (.308 or similar). i know in reality you never can build the absolute perfect combo of light, accurate, functional and price effective. but would love to hear if anyone's ever gotten close to that goal. if so, whats the gun? what are the specs? hows it shoot? and if you have recommendations on a smith that built it, any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Got a new 26 nosler from Christensen. It is 6.5 lbs without scope I think the scope is 18oz.
It is a long action though. But very easy to pack up the mountain. And as far as shoots best I have ever had zero at 200 it shoots under 3/4 Moa at 200. At 400 shoots about 1.75 Moa
But is very pricey.

·
Administrator
7,955 Posts
I dunno if you could call it "custom" per se, but I hunt with a Blaser K-95 Luxus .308

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I have a whole safe full of customs. Most are built on an accurized version of a modern bolt action with a premium barrel, and a quality stock bedded correctly. Most cost around $1200 by the time I'm finished and most shoot very well.

For hunting I almost always go with a light stock and a 24"-26" #4 contour barrel. I prefer my hunting rifles to be just a bit barrel heavy. -----SS

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hooper, I admittedly don't know much about Christensen although I do know there reputation. Will have to check into that. And as far as blaser goes, that may be pricier than I want? Never really checked into it.

I have a Remington 700 sps tactical AAC with cortex viper pst right now that shoots constantly .5-.6 MOA 4 shot groups out to 300 yds (that's as far as I've grouped it but also consistently hit steel out to 750). That's with only minor work I've done myself on it and factory match Ammo. But it's heavier than I like to tote on anything more than a half day outting. So I'm looking for something as or more accurate but lighter, under a $2500 not counting optics/accessories. Hopefully that's not like hunting uniforms, but i figured someone on this community may have had the same idea at some point or another

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SprIngville I may pm you to glean some wisdom of you wouldn't mind

·
Administrator
7,955 Posts
I'll tell you something I've learned:

You can have all the fancy gear and high end rifles. But they don't account for lack of skill and knowledge.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Something told me these kind of comments may come up. I just didn't realize it would be so quick. So while a grown man shouldn't have to justify himself, I'll explain my intent at least so maybe any comments Are constructive. Im only 25 years old and have been shooting high caliber guns for 20'of those years. I've now hunted a majority of big game in America and most all small game. And my longest kill shot ever was 125yds. I am all about hunting and improving my abilities. And I'm not the guy who shoots an animal at 1000 or even 500 yds.
But I also have developed an interest SHOOTING (not hunting) long range. I'm interested in getting a custom gun built for such a purpose, however all guns I own will be able to be used for hunting (so no 20lb bench rest guns). So that's why I ask this question as all my guns have been factory. I love hunting advice on here but this gun is not to compensate for lack of skill. It is for the above stated purposes.

Now that I am off the soapbox, I appreciate all further posts being helpful and will be very appreciative of such!

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cooky, That's a slick lookin rifle. Looks like I got something to read up on!

·
Administrator
7,955 Posts
I don't mean to imply that you are one of those guys that uses a high end rifle to be a better hunter. But by golly, the marketing that you see will make you think you need the best of the best to succeed.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i apologize as well, Bax. i probably was a little more snarky than was warranted. and i definitely agree. the hunting channel is entertaining, but has made us fall in love with gear as well. but this build will be sort of a self graduation present, and i like to know that when i suck at killing animals its because i suck and not because my gear does:mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
3,441 Posts
How about a semi-custom?

Here is what I have for a 6.5x284 currently the making -
Remington 700 LA (.270 from Walmart in Evanston, WY. $375)
Lilja #4 with Spiral Flutes (7 flutes 12” twist 26” finish)
Timney trigger set to 2 lbs.
Bell and Carlson M40 stock tan with black web
Nightforce SHV 5-20x56mm
Charcoal Black Cerakote on action and barrel

·
Registered
230 Posts
How about a semi-custom?

Here is what I have for a 6.5x284 currently the making -
Remington 700 LA (.270 from Walmart in Evanston, WY. $375)
Lilja #4 with Spiral Flutes (7 flutes 12" twist 26" finish)
Timney trigger set to 2 lbs.
Bell and Carlson M40 stock tan with black web
Nightforce SHV 5-20x56mm
Charcoal Black Cerakote on action and barrel
Without a picture I don't believe you :) Is it assembled yet? I guess I am like you, semi custom guns. Trued actions with match grade barrels and aftermarket stocks. I am jealous, I always wanted spiral flutes! I do have one Lilja barrel and it shoots at or under 1/2 moa in my semi custom 264wm.

·
Super Moderator
3,441 Posts
Without a picture I don't believe you :) Is it assembled yet? I guess I am like you, semi custom guns. Trued actions with match grade barrels and aftermarket stocks. I am jealous, I always wanted spiral flutes! I do have one Lilja barrel and it shoots at or under 1/2 moa in my semi custom 264wm.
Why let the truth get in the way of a good story? I have a picture, its just in my mind, and it won't upload on here very easily. :grin:

I am in the beginning stages of this build and I figure it should be done by this summer. I am just trying to piece things together as I can! I do have the action and have ordered the barrel from Lilja.

Spiral flutes - I saw a spiral fluted barrel a while ago on MeatEater and loved the way it looked.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I have a couple Lilja barrels...they all shoot great.

My "customs" were built for coyote/varmint hunting. A .17 predator, .17 Mach IV and a 6BR. I'm starting to put a list together for an lightweight deer/antelope rifle. I have a Savage action, which would be the easiest and probably cheapest to do, but not sold on that yet.

·
JMgardner
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yes i guess i group semi custom and custom in the same boat. silly me. i would love to do a build off of a tikka action. possibly a remington but i might cry if i broke down the one i have right now. and CPAjeff that sounds like exactly the kind of build id be interested in. do you already have experience with that m40 stock, or is this to try out?

·
Super Moderator
3,441 Posts
CPAjeff that sounds like exactly the kind of build id be interested in. do you already have experience with that m40 stock, or is this to try out?
I have handled a few of them, but this will be the first time that I put it on one of my guns.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts