Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Two motorized Para gliders going up and down every canyon Saturday morning 8am spooking everything out of the area. Both para's were exactly the same and both pilots were dressed the same but no markings. Can't imagine the DWR doing this on the hunt. I would hope not. Maybe it was someone else pushing them to the cwmu's. thanks

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Where was this at? The weekend of the 9th I was up taking a look around in a couple different places and I remember pointing out to my daughter that there was a paraglider flying around. Because we were in a few different places that day I don't remember which one we saw him at.

But yes, I did see a paraglider recently while out scouting for a hunt.

·
Registered
580 Posts
That is strange... I know that there are always paragliders up on the front of Bountiful and that they just fly down the front face and then down to the Jr High to land. I have never seen them on any mountain flying around. BUT I have seen lots of Helicopters both this year and last year. They like to buzz the ridge tops and scare the deer, elk and moose. It really annoys me. I have called the division and reported it but havent heard anything come of it....

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was up around Current Creek on Saturday. I didnt see or hear anything other then a lot of deer, with antlers. It seems like this year, more then ever, everyone has some kind of reason why they couldnt find, see, shoot, tag an animal. smh.

·
Super Moderator
9,789 Posts
One thing that people need to realize anymore is that when hunting seasons roll around they are not the only people out there in the hills anymore, others have the right to do what they enjoy also as long as it is legal. Perhaps it was a couple of ranchers that were checking the canyons for any cattle that they needed to move out, perhaps it was just a couple of people that wanted to do some para gliding. Without talking to them you will never know.

It would be a rotten deal if they came down through a canyon that you were watching but look at the bright side. If they didn't push any elk or deer out of the canyon then you would know that you are wasting your time in the canyon.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
Thing is, wildlife really don't leave for aircraft unless it is deliberately chasing them at very low elevations. But really, big game don't look up all that much, which is why treestand hunting works. But +1 to the idea of sharing the outdoors. For the most part, only hunters know when hunting seasons are. I don't know how many planning sessions I'd have with other scout leaders trying to plan scout camp outs on the deer opener because they had no clue. And anymore, with all the special hunts, archery, muzzie, rifle, extended this that or the other, most of the woods have some kind of hunt going on for the better part of 3 months.

Reactions: longbow

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
What's worse is that I saw those DWR fools flying those paragliders. When they landed THEY HAD ELK TRACK BOOTS ON!!

So, not only were they trying to spook the elk out of the canyon by dropping flour sacks and harassing the animals, but they were also running around with their "elk track" boots to make hunters think that there were still elk around!!

When they finished, they climbed into the DWR logo'd plane and flew away.

Bass Terds for sure!

Reactions: GaryFish

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I think I read somewhere that Obama had a secret plan to does this in his last term, when it was to late for us to do anything about it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Opening morning of rifle hunt on the currant creek hunt we had a helicopter fly over before sunlight with its spot lights on fly right over our camp. have no idea what it was doing.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
I was hunting elk
-_O-
Sorry, I thought you posted this thread in an attempt to actually have a conversation about it. My mistake.

Nobody is asking for GPS coordinates. FYI, I was around Tabby Mountain, Wildcat, and Willow Creek. The paragliders were in one of those places. Didn't think much of it, so I don't remember where exactly they were.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I know the landowners/managers from the Morgan side of the mountain who have a CWMU unit fly a helicopter on the Bountiful side moving elk up over the top. The guy sometimes sits in the mouth of the canyons on the West side telling people the land is private and they aren't allowed to go up there even though it is public. They also have posted private signs beyond their boundaries. I know multiple close friends who have had interactions and have reported this guy but the DWR doesn't do anything because he always denies any wrongdoing. His helicopter rides aren't to scare elk according to him, he just like s to look at them from close distances if you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
3,787 Posts
I know the landowners/managers from the Morgan side of the mountain who have a CWMU unit fly a helicopter on the Bountiful side moving elk up over the top. The guy sometimes sits in the mouth of the canyons on the West side telling people the land is private and they aren't allowed to go up there even though it is public. They also have posted private signs beyond their boundaries. I know multiple close friends who have had interactions and have reported this guy but the DWR doesn't do anything because he always denies any wrongdoing. His helicopter rides aren't to scare elk according to him, he just like s to look at them from close distances if you know what I mean.
When I was involved with a CWMU one of the landowners had no trespassing signs on the trees past his property line, someone reported it to the DWR and they told the CWMU board they had to be moved within the week or the CWMU would be fined. If I remember right the fine was something like $6,000 or $8,000.

Reactions: tallbuck

·
Registered
580 Posts
I am assuming this is Hardscrabble? I have seen them for the past 4 years flying up there... There is no way that they are viewing elk with how low and fast and with the sharp turns at the top of the canyons... THEY ARE MOVING ELK. This year I did not see the copter as i believe it is under new management for hunting. Signs are still way off as far as what the division maps show compared to where the signs are located all over the boundary up there. CWMU's just get away with a-lot of crap due to low CO's being able to monitor them.

·
Registered
6,828 Posts
Signs are still way off as far as what the division maps show compared to where the signs are located all over the boundary up there. CWMU's just get away with a-lot of crap due to low CO's being able to monitor them.
If these things are regular occurrences like is being thrown out there, low numbers of enforcement officers is a crap excuse. These are very serious allegations being thrown out there. I can't buy that understaffing is a legitimate reason to not be able to catch them and punish them.

A misplaced No Trespassing sign takes one call out to address, right? A major undercover sting isn't needed here.

·
Registered
41 Posts
You are assuming they will actually do anything. My experience is that unless there is a likelihood of a poaching case, the officers are very slow/not interested in responding. I have called DWR officers regarding boundaries/other general items over 30 times over the years without a single call back. I called once on a poaching issue and man did I get attention. I understand the issues clearly but lets not pretend the DWR officers really care about drones, helicopters, boundaries, alcohol and firearms, etc. Poaching is what gets the attention. Every few years I try hunting Utah again and then realize why I spend more to hunt in other states. I spent a week in Wyoming hunting elk this year without having one jackwagon do anything like what happened every day of my Utah hunt this year.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts