Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just kinda fascinated with this cartridge lately. seems like a nice, light kicking little cartridge with plenty of killing power. I currently don't have anything smaller than a .30 cal and that's a .300 win mag. my uncle offered me a mannlicher in 6.5 swede years ago but I passed. been thinking about it lately. curious if anyone has any experience or input on it.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Great cartridge, can greatly benefit from hand loading in rifles that can take modern pressures. The 6.5x55 will do anything that the trendy new 6.5's will do.------SS

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've owned and hunted with one for the past 10 years after reading about it on the net and getting intrigued by the mild-mannered cartridge. Mine is a modern CZ 550 American (Blued/Walnut).

The long, skinny bullets at modest velocities penetrate deeply and buck the wind quite well. It has enough kick to let you know you are shooting a rifle and not a squirrel gun, but not enough to keep you from shooting it for prolonged periods.

Factory ammo is mostly limited to the 140 grain bullets and is decently available, but not so much as more standard cartridges. If you handload, you have the options of 85 grain varmint bullets to 160 grain round noses with everything in-between.

It's a sweet shooting cartridge.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I've gone almost exclusively to the American cousin .260 Rem and have taken bear and caribou with it. I love the cartridge.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks. I like the idea of the moderate velocity with the longer heavy-for small caliber bullets. ive heard good things about all 6.5 cals. read a Boddington article where Craig backed a hunter in Africa who was using a 6.5x53 or something to kill a cape buff with 160 gr solids. not practical or wise but the guy was trying to duplicate some Karamojo Bell shot or something. I think they were in Mozambique or some country that had no caliber restrictions at the time. if I remember correctly the buff died quickly.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Stop dreaming about it, and get yourself down to Scheels! I was just there and they had a Tikka T3 Forester chambered in 6.5x55 for $700. It's a beautiful rifle with a super smooth action, it's lightweight, and it shoulders and points beautifully. They had the same rifle at the same price in a .260 Remington that I liked even a little bit more.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
just kinda fascinated with this cartridge lately. seems like a nice, light kicking little cartridge with plenty of killing power. I currently don't have anything smaller than a .30 cal and that's a .300 win mag. my uncle offered me a mannlicher in 6.5 swede years ago but I passed. been thinking about it lately. curious if anyone has any experience or input on it.
Color me sick cousin. About 3-4 years ago I came across an old military surplus Mannlicher swede in 6.5. When I checked out the value the pawn shop had it about 35% under value and it was cherry condition, I hurried up the next day and went to get it and she was gone. I still think about that gun. Would love to come across another like her but she was a rarity.

Reactions: 35whelen

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my uncle is constantly picking up stray swedes n sporterizing them. he's offered to sell me a few. cz 550 mannlicher would be nice though. one day. money is tight with another wee'un on the way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts