Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else out there shoots a 28 gauge. I recently joined the ranks of the 28 ga shooters. I am definitely going to reload for it. Any suggestions on presses? I am currently leaning towards the MEC 600jr. Any pet loads, sources for hulls, experience in reloading, hunting w/ a 28 etc.; that you could share is appreciated. I have only shot about 1/2 box of shells through it to test it out. I am itching to go shoot skeet!!! (what happened to the skeet shooting smiley when you need it???)

·
Administrator
21,433 Posts
I have an old 28 ga Rem 870 LW with the mahogany wood. It's a nice handling gun. The wife and I have taken many bobwhite with it.

My neighbor reloads 28 ga for me. I will ask him for details Woolly.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Welcome to the small bore club :wink: I think you will be very surprised with how amazing these little guns are. I have 3 now. Ruger red lable, rem 870 and a cz redhead. As far as a press for them I load with a mec 600jr. I will pm you later with my favorite load for the old aa hulls and for now with the new hs aa hulls you can just use the info on the bag of wads to load them. I have been loading lead for them for about 8 years now. Just started loading hevi shot this fall for it. Talk about a duck smacker out to 35 or 40 yards.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I shoot a Beretta 20/28 687 Combo. It has become my favorite gun for all upland shooting, and the occasional round of Sporting Clays. Lightweight and quick swing on FFB's
("Fast Flying Bas****'s").
I reload Hodgdon LongShot powder in all of my 28 ga loads. It is clean and probably the least expensive powder to load. (I don't have my loading data here, but you can find it at Hodgdon's website). Lots of different loads. I load 3/4 or 7/8 oz depending on what I am hunting. http://www.hodgdon.com/
I like the REM PT28 wad, because it goes through my loader best, and is a good quality wad.

As for empties...well, therein lies the rub. You almost have to buy factory rounds to get the empties. I have mostly AA HS hulls, but I have reloaded Federal hulls with good results (they are actually my favorite to reload, but they don't last quite as long as others). I really like the Rem STS hull in 20 ga, and would like to find some in 28 ga...but I will probably have to buy factory rounds to get them.
28 ga hulls are prized by skeet shooters, so you won't find many to buy. I used to see them on e-bay (when that was allowed), and they sold for really high prices. I sold some there once. The prices were high enough, that it was almost cheaper to buy factory loads and shoot them, than to buy them on e-bay, especially considering the shipping costs.
Just go buy 4 or 5 boxes at about $8-9 each, and you will have some empties before long.
Also, Fiocchi makes a Golden Pheasant nickel plated load for the 28ga that is a dandy on Chukars and Pheasant. You can even get them in 1 oz if I recall correctly, and the velocity is still fairly good.
I haven't tried to reload them, but they have a large capacity case, and I would have to find or figure out a safe recipe first.

Have fun with your little gun.

Imadogman

PS I load them on a Spolar Gold, but a well adjusted MEC will load them just as well, just not as fast, unless you buy the 9000 series.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! I am really interested in the Hevi-shot in the 28. I didn't realize that there were wads for hevi 28's. I think it will be a lot of fun on skeet, and for grouse. I wish I could find some bismuth for it, that would be fun too.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a MEC 600 in 28 ga. on order and should be here before the end of the week. Does anyone have a good recipe for a 11/16 oz load using fiocchi primers? I am also wondering how the downrange PC 28 wads are for estate hulls. And, if anyone has opinions on the new 20/28 powder. Thanks. Gonna bust some clay this week! :)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Cool. I'm another with that Beretta 687 20/28- love it to death. I've been shooting all my grouse with the 28 and am loving it. I'm still not willing to hike to the top of the chukar hill and hold fire at 35 yard chukar (about my limit with the 28), but the 28 is a dandy grouse gun. My only $.02 is to keep the loads well under an ounce. I'm sure it has to do with shot-string and what not, but the lighter loads seem to be the ticket. BTW I love the 28 for skeet, I score about the same as the 20, with little recoil, which is saying something in that 687, 'cause it doesn't weigh anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts