Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just scored a wonderful deal on some shotgun shells today. I came across a facebook post of some kid who had inherited a bunch of shells from his grandpa and was selling them for a great price. They were 4 and 6 shot high brass loads. They were obviously pretty old school because they were marketed as duck/pheasant loads. I made sure they were factory loads and not reloads. He was selling them for $5 a box!

I bought 2 boxes of the 6 shot and 1 box of the 4 shot. Now I'm kind of second guessing myself and thinking I should have just bought all 6 shot. 4 just seems a little heavy for anything I might do with it. It would make a great waterfowl load, but it is lead shot so I cannot use it for that. If I put in and draw for sage grouse sometime I guess it would make good heavy load for those big old bombers but the heavy 6s would probably work good too. If I ever get the funds together and do a SD pheasant hunt they could be used there I suppose. They could definitely be turkey loads. I'm just having a hard time seeing how I'll use up a box of 4 shot. I don't want to just waste them on stuff. Do any of you have special applications for lead #4?

·
Super Moderator
9,826 Posts
4 shot should be good for pheasants, and even rabbits it you hunt them with a shotgun. If nothing else use it on clay birds.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
#5 has always been my go to all around load for pheasants, but is not very common anymore, so often end up using 6 as my lead shot and 4 for the second shot.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
There's someone on ksl ads selling a bag of #5 shot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts