Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Personally, I'd rather run into a bear or cougar than a bull moose this time of year.
Same! I ran smack into a bear on Monday morning hiking into hunt elk. He stood up in the waist high brush huffed at me and took off like a shot. It made me feel froggy for a second but he blasted away so fast I didn’t care after that and just kept on.

If it would have been a bull moose that close I would have **** my pants and been looking for the biggest tree to hide behind asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
177 Posts
Yeah… not a fan of those guys. I hunt an area with tons of em, they’ve really messed up my chances on more than one occasion. In 2020, I was hiking in to a spot I hunt regularly. Trying to stay in cover following a familiar route. There was a bull and a cow that were in the open area where I usually climb a short hill quickly, and I had to redirect. Went around the hill side the opposite way, and spooked a great 4 point that looked to be working right toward where I would have ended up if I didn’t switch direction to avoid getting stomped out by a moose.

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
Been watching several every night for the past week... atm they are the laziest critters out there. Except for one day we saw two wandering a bit... most haven't moved 10 yards from the time we spotted them until the time we left several hours later. They just stand wherever they are... for hours.

The picture of the one in the article looks like one we call "waddles" due to a crazy long waddle he has. Same antler configuration... like a big deer, no paddle mass at all.

He somehow found a cow last night, thinks he has a girlfriend. She on the other hand does NOT feel the same way. Watched him sneak up and give her rump a sniff and she about kicked his face off. He went and sulked a few feet away for the rest of the night. It was hilarious.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The year my buddy got his we saw one the night before from a couple of miles away. The next morning we went to see if we could turn him back up and he was less than a few hundred yards from where we saw him the night before. We had just started to look at him and he walked into some scrub maples.

Still undecided I told him get set up on that side of the draw and I would circle around and see if I could bump him out in the open to get a better look. Long story short I played with that bull for about 40 minutes just making him nervous enough to move the direction I wanted. He walked out on a sagebrush opening where I knew my buddy could see him and waited. I kept looking across to see where my buddy was and didn't see him.

Finally I'm standing out in the middle of the sagebrush and the bull is backed up against some oak brush. He starts stomping and blowing and I'm thinking I'm getting stomped any second. He finally turns and dives into the oak brush. A few seconds later a shot rings out and the bull goes down.

I'll take a bull any day versus a cow with a calf.

·
Administrator
11,312 Posts
Years ago I was deer hunting up Tie Fork above the small restaurant and ran into a cow and calf coming down the trail as I was going up it. I hiked up the sidehill to get away from them but the cow was following me up. I was about a hundred yards up off of the trail and the calf was long gone when I stopped and told that cow that I only had one shot in my pistol and that I was going to shoot her right between the eyes if she came any closer.

She was about 30 yards away before she turned around and headed after her calf. She headed down towards the RR tracks and I kept going up the hill.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Fishing & Hunting as much as possible, but still learning
2 Posts
I bumped into a cow several weeks ago on my archery hunt and was very glad she didn't have a calf with her. She was very cool to see but definitely nerve-wracking!

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
Thanks for the reminder. Usually If I see any, I always give them a couple hundred yards of wide berth because I know they can charge. Though I've bumped into a couple during spring turkey and summer scouting, and I often forget about that. It's easy to do because they seem super skittish, with ghost like behavior. I bump one, and POOF, gone like a fart in the wind.

·
Registered
442 Posts
All my close moose encounters have been in the dark... Either hiking back from hunting or running a trail at night. I've had 3 occasions where I rounded a corner and was expectedly within 10 feet of a huge bull. They all took off quickly, along with my breath!

I'm wondering if the bright headlamp in their face spooks them. I have no other explanation as to why they took off so fast and didn't stomp me first.

Has anyone else had this type of run-in with a moose where they seemed to be spooked by headlamp?

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
I'm wondering if the bright headlamp in their face spooks them. I have no other explanation as to why they took off so fast and didn't stomp me first.

Has anyone else had this type of run-in with a moose where they seemed to be spooked by headlamp?
Years ago we had a bull just off the side of the road on the archery hunt. It was well after shooting hours and we were heading back home when we saw him. He was maybe 10 yards beside us, my wife leaned out with her phone and took a picture. At the flash that moose immediately charged the truck. Head lights didnt seem to bother it, but that blinding flash really did. Got some blurry pictures as he came right up to the truck (Wife was hollaring as she thought it was going to come through the window). The moose stopped inches from ramming us, then crashed through the brush going around the back of the truck.

So yea, I do believe certain lights spook / anger them.

-DallanC

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got chased off my Deer hunt today by two Bull Moose. Second day in the row I had to clear out or get stomped. They walked out of the oaks about 20 yards from me. I was in the very trail they wanted to use and I gladly gave them right of way. The day before a girl out hiking ran into the same Moose and got charged but got away safely. I went up canyon and called to them and they came right in and I booked it into the bush and made scarce. I talked to a guy scouting for his brother that used 25 points to get his permit. I told him the check a different area where I had seen a "Big Won" last week. Both these beasts need a few more years before I would consider them worth a 1/4 of a century wait to harvest. Looking for Elk and all I keep seeing is Deer, Moose, Coyotes and a ton of Bear sign. Good hunting to you on Hardscrabble.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I did manage to find the three Bucks I had been hunting when the Moose showed up. And now there are THREE Bull Moose in rut cruising the drainage. Probably why there are no other hunters in the area.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts