Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I'm squarely in the camp thinking Utah's limited entry season is ridiculous, it gives me ample time to find opportunity elsewhere.

Southwest Colorado

10+ hour roundtrip drive. 30 minute hunt. Roosted him the evening before. Woke to an inch of new snow. Called him in strutting and gobbling to 18 yards. Oddly, he had absolutely no spurs. Full tail fan and 7 inch beard.

Black Hills - South Dakota and Wyoming

Arrived after driving through the night to 6 inches of snow on the SD Black Hills National Forest. Clearly no birds on the public land so moved to buddies ranch at lower elevation. After a long walk and little gobbling, finally got a bird fired up late. He eventually went to roost with a few additional gobblers and some hens. I was able to call the flock in the next morning to 15 yards with 4 strutters.

Nice bird with sharp spurs.

Moved back over to National Forest after lots of snow melt and chased birds quite a ways up but no luck. I was able to roost 6-8 birds but they were just off the public. Had a bird coming at dawn only to have a coyote run him off. I got on a flock shortly after and called the group in to 25 yards with 2 strutters. Had to wait on the shot till other birds cleared.

Two South Dakota birds. Prairie tag and Black Hills tag

Ran and bought the otc Wyoming tag. Drove up high but still too much snow in that location. Drove back down near buddies Wyoming ranch with surrounding national forest and BLM. Roosted several birds and went after closest in the morning. Nearly busted on a couple of occasions but finally got a 30 yard shot.

Looking forward to Utah's season tomorrow, but it's been a great season already.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Nice birds, it just shows that if you put in the effort you can find and bag turkeys.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Yeah utahs LE is sure inconvenient. You can draw any tag but a central with what, 0-2 points? Too bad there’s no where else to hunt during those 3 weeks the draw hunt is going 🙄

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Not uncommon for birds in SW CO and NW NM to not have spurs.

First bird I ever got in the Carson Nat'l forest had an 8" beard and no spurs.

Looks like fun times

1 - 6 of 6 Posts