Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
21,399 Posts
But why?-----SS
A magnified scope is not always the best choice. An example would be hunting whitetails or hogs in the thick stuff, but if you have bad eyesight and can't get both the rear and the front sights in focus a 1X scope is a blessing.

I shot my elk this year, 103 yards, with my 1 3/4 x 6 scope on 1 3/4 power.

Reactions: Bax*

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I was cool with the 1 power thing, I could live with a 1.5-2 power thing. But I'm not sure why we should encourage the use of high magnification scopes with drop compensating technology on the muzzy hunt. ----SS

·
Super Moderator
9,782 Posts
My handguns don't carry a scope except for my TC Contender in 7-30 Waters and then that scope is a 2x7. 90% of the animals that I have shot with that one have been shot with the scope on 4x or lower out to a range of 170 yards.

I can just see the folks out there with their target turrets on their ML's now. The deer or elk is at 275 yards and they have their rifle zeroed at 150. They turn the screws a little and set up on the shooting sticks and bang and down goes the animal, hopefully.

Next year there will be a survey talking about crossbows with scopes on them and the folks on the wildlife board will want to hunt during the archery season so they will approve it.

·
Administrator
7,955 Posts
I was cool with the 1 power thing, I could live with a 1.5-2 power thing. But I'm not sure why we should encourage the use of high magnification scopes with drop compensating technology on the muzzy hunt. ----SS
Might as well just eliminate the hunt all together and just use it during general season.

It really seems to just give muzzy hunters an opportunity to have an early rifle hunt.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
I'll just put my 'old straight 4 power I took off my deer gun years ago, and put it on my muzzle gun.
That will make me cool. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Their is going to be a lot of hunters switching which LE and General hunt they apply for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
402 Posts
There will still only be 16,000 tags for muzzle loader hunt compared to 60,000 rifle. So are people just NOT going to draw out if they switch. I hope people realize this before they go all in.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Disappointing. It's now just a single shot hunt. I agree there's no difference now. It's just an eairly hunt. Might as well just have one.

·
1,666 Posts
I'll have to play the loop hole thing so I can draw out for my favorite hunt now, with people wanting to switch
It'll be interesting to see how many people actually switch.

I imagine the late hunts on the LE deer are going to be the biggest notable change, but I would doubt general season changes a whole lot.

It will make some of the earlier hunts on the LE deer very interesting, if people hop on the late LE wagon.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts