Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Archery elk Hunting partner?!!?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  flyfisher20 
#1 ·
Hey everyone,
I have been planning to hunt an any bull archery unit since I did not draw anything. I have been planning on my brother in law to fly on to hunt with me. Unfortunately, today he let me know he can not make it now. Any suggestions? Anybody in the same situation? Open to conversation with some folks, I’d rather not try to pack a bull out alone!

#2 ·
If you are not concerned about hunting and camping by yourself, go it alone. It isn't that bad getting one out by yourself, I have done it. You cut it up and bone it out and then pack it out. You can get them out in 2 to 3 pack trips that way, depending on the size of the animal. If you should get one down, you make a call or two and generally getting someone to come help pack isn't that difficult, especially if you offer to share the critter in return for help. The reality is that you will go, hunt hard, have a good time but the likely hood of you being successful is quite low. It takes most people 3 or 4 years of hard knock schooling before they get their first archery elk. Especially if you have not hunted them before. I say go and have a good time and learn how and where to hunt them. Maybe you will get lucky.

#3 · (Edited)
I like hunting alone. You get to be your own boss. Follow your own hunches, nothing has to be discussed. If an area looks bad, you can just pick up and go to another. No muss, no fuss. Only trouble with solo hunting, is if your doing something wrong, there's nobody there to tell you otherwise. Although, if your being a complete idiot, nobody knows but you. :sneaky: Anyway,
success of failure, everything is on you. It can also be pretty hard. Getting "in your bubble" of concentration while stalking, and staying in it for long periods of time is mentally exhausting. Odds are, you will be unsuccessful. Theres a reason why archery tags are unlimited. :ROFLMAO:

If you are successful, quarter and debone. Bring a cheapo ground sheet, or use the hide as a ground sheet. Don't let the meat get dirty. Then start relaying your game bags from the kill site to another location closer to the road, and from that location, to another location closer still. Eventually you'll get it all close to the road for a final packout. Have some ice cold gatoriade ready, you'll need it.

edit: Oh, and pace yourself if you can. Take a nap if you need to. Packing out an elk after you've been humping the hills for the last 10 hours sucks. Your tank will be running on empty.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.