Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry to have hijacked this thread lately with so many traditional posts. My new recurve is in the mail, its [email protected]", and I want to make sure I am fully prepared. So I have just a few questions-

1- I understand the basic tecnique/accuracy importance of draw weight on a trad bow, but what about balancing that with what I want to accomplish lethally. I am hoping to be leathal and accuarte at 15-25yrds. Will 50#(lbs) ge me there with deer? elk? moose? bear?

2- What are your experiences with draw weight in general.

3- Any trad shooters want to give me a little lesson when my bow comes?

Thanks for your knowledge.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Fred Bear never used a bow in excess of 45#, and killed nearly every huntable creature on five continents. A 50# recurve is plenty of bow; but you can go one of two directions with it:

High velocity-
Carbon arrow, 85-90 grain broadhead. Will extend your range with less arc to the trajectory, but penetrate less on larger game, particularly if you hit bone.

Brute Force-
Cedar arrow, 125 grain two-blade bone breaker broadhead.
More arc, slightly lesser range, lots of penetration.

If you're shooting instinctively (no sights), then you could use both to accommodate different game species without re-sighting in.
Keep in mind- vaned arrows (plastic fletching) will go astray if the vane strikes the arrow rest. More contact area on a recurve= greater likelihood for things to go wrong.
Use feather-fletched arrows. the fletch has much more 'give' to it and won't throw the rear end of the arrow off kilter when released.
One setup that may prove effective (the setup I'm saving for) would be a recurve with single pin sight set at 15 or 20 yards. Sportsmans carries feather-fletched carbon arrows '300 series' designed for your poundage. Try a 100 grain three blade broadhead. This setup won't be perfect for any one situation, but versatile for a broad range.
If you want to go straight traditional, try the heavy setup. You'll bag more game without having to switch aim points or techniques.
As for shooting tips, go to Salt Lake Archery in Sugarhouse on a slow weeknight. Ask for Bruce. If they're slow, he may critique you and give you some pointers. If you build your own arrows, you'll save quite a bit of money over the other methods.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Treehugnhuntr said:
WHAT! :mrgreen:

Dude, when you get your bow just come over and we'll have a set-up, arrow, rest, tuning, grip, shooting, stance, release, fallow through, get to know yer bow clinic. FOC of course!

·
Registered
610 Posts
blackbear said:
Sorry to have hijacked this thread lately with so many traditional posts. My new recurve is in the mail, its [email protected]", and I want to make sure I am fully prepared. So I have just a few questions-

1- I understand the basic tecnique/accuracy importance of draw weight on a trad bow, but what about balancing that with what I want to accomplish lethally. I am hoping to be leathal and accuarte at 15-25yrds. Will 50#(lbs) ge me there with deer? elk? moose? bear?
Fred Eichler just completed his Super Slam this past year using Traditional equipment. I beleive he did it all with a 53lb Palmer recurve, carbon arrows, and Muzzy Phantom Broadheads. I beleive 50 lbs is plenty for anything you might want to hunt (at least on this continent). Tune your equipment and practice, practice, praqctice. Good luck!!

Mark

1 - 5 of 5 Posts