Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I SEEM TO HAVE BEEN SEEING MORE COUGARS LATELY AND HEARING OF MORE TO DOWN HERE IN THE SOUTHERN REGION, I HAVE SEEN ONE IN MY LIFE IN THE WILD UNTIL JUST A COUPLE WEEKS AGO BOW HUNTING. I SEEN TWO ON TWO DIFFERENT OCCASIONS ARE THERE STARTING TO BE A LOT MORE JUST HAVEN'T HAD MANY CLOSE ENCOUNTERS WITH THEM AND IT GETS YOUR ADRENALIN RUSHING.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
I think your seeing more is because of the drought we are having. the same thing with the bears. there coming down lower for food and water. but that just me thinking that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They are sure not on the increase up north. Its hard to find any lion to run let alone a good tom. I hear alot of stories of people finding 10-15 diffrent tracks every time they go out. I tell them to buy a tag and call me if they find a track. Needless to say, I haven't had to respond to many calls, and the ones I did respond to wer subadult lions or females.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Here in Central Utah..it is an easy answer..NO..

Compared to years past there are less lions and a LOT less mature toms on the mountain.

KattKrapp

·
Registered
6,309 Posts
There is a sign three doors up on the hiking trail that goes down behind my house. "BEWARE MOUNTAIN LION IN THE AREA". (can't bring myself to type the C word). :lol:

·
Registered
385 Posts
i saw two this year while up at pine valley mountain. i heard they have a huge increase their because the lack of deer so they are coming more into the open and water for food. thats just what i heard though dont exactly know if its true or not, but i have seen some this year and ive never seen them before. :?

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
FROGGER said:
I have yet to see one, i hear stories about them but have never seen one....
Same here! My wife and her Grandpa used to see some when they would take the mules out. I think she said she saw one up Hobble Creek and one up Payson Canyon.
As for me, I am still hoping to see one...not to shoot, but to videotape or take a picture! :D

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Same, multiple people i know have seen one, some in their garages in Lehi but i never have. I have spoken to a Fish and Game official who told a story of a Cougar they had been tracking with a collar who had crossed the valley " unseen " as it was not reported but i dont know if he was exaggerating. I would sure love to see one though... Here is the closest i have come... Critter cams rock....

·
Registered
292 Posts
I also seen one on the ML hunt. me and my dad woke up a little late so we were driving to our spot in some light... :? saw a couple deer.. stopped.. the deer looked at us and took off.. about 5 seconds later a lion popped up from about 10 yards from where they were and ran into some trees. Wish we could have seen it get one. that would have been SWEET!

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Last summer (2006) my daughter traveling through Weber canyon @ about 1:00 a.m. hit a large Tom Lion with her car. She said it was so strange - the Lion came up from the river bottom and perched itself on top of the cement barricade, kind of like you might see a house cat perched on top of a fence post out in a field somewhere, then just darted in front of her. It totaled her small car, she was shaken up, but otherwise uninjured. The investigating officer couldn't find the Lion.
To make a very long story short....my son-in-laws and I were able to track the lion down, reported it to the DWR, and I was able to keep the skull for use in my science class.
It is difficult to keep track of the total numbers of Lions -they are such a solitary, secretive, animal. As we encroach on the winter ranges of animals, and with other factors such as the drought, we will probably see more of them, not necessarily because their numbers are going up, but because they have less space to be in.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I heard that a young hunter killed a cat that attacked him up near Randolph during this years elk hunt a few weeks ago. Seems the hunter was sneaking up the trail, when out of nowhere this lion appeared in a crouched position just 15 feet away. The hunter instinctively shot and then ran like he** down the trail back to his dad waiting in the truck. All out of breath and scared like crazy. After a bit the two of them went back up the trail and found the dead cat and just a few feet off the trail a small deer the cat had killed and was eating.
It was reported to the DWR, but I don't know anything more about it.
This was in the same general area where we saw a cat during this years ML hunt....maybe the same cat.?.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Just a general observation, but why is it cougars generally stalk and attack only armed people?? Lions peacefully coexist throughout the year with the campers, fishermen, cross country skiers, hikers etc, but every year when big game seasons start, you hear about several instances where cougars start stalking and attacking humans and have to be killed in self defense.

I dunno, I guess it's just one of those mysteries of lion behavior........ :?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
KevinD,

It could be that the hunters get off the trails that all the campers and hikers stay on. This exposes them to more territiory and more potential to see all animals. Its not just armed hunters either, there was a story recently that a cat attacked and older couple while hiking and she beat the cat with a large branch to get it off of her husband. I beleive it was in California.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts