Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drew a moose tag here in Utah this year. All my experiences with moose have been that you can pretty much walk right up to them. I had my 9 year old son with me a few weeks ago and we had a bull that got within 5 yards of us and then he just fed and racked the bushes around us for twenty minutes. I have ran into them hunting and they just stand there and look at you. Now that I have a tag in my pocket I am sure that they will run like hell! Who has hunted moose in Utah and what did they act like? Do you just find the one you want and walk over a put a arrow in him? Are moose really stupid or am I missing something here?

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I am more a afraid of a moose than I am a black bear. I wouldn't say they are stupid. I would just say they know they are bigger than I am. And since I usually don't run at them with my teeth barred trying to bite them, they don't fear me. JMO

·
Registered
433 Posts
Moose are mostly trophy animals (In my opinion). From my observations they can be found in the same spot day after day and often year after year. I have seen one spooked before, but even then it tooks it's time leaving and didn't run far before it stooped. I agree that you wouldn't want to irritate one though.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Nibble Nuts said:
I don't think they are stupid, I just think experience has shown them that they do not need to be afraid of much.
They are only afraid of big, stupid dogs like the one I got rid of. I didn't know moose could move that fast but when Toby took off through the willows, it looked like somebody drove a train through there after the bull and cow took off. :lol: I think that where we don't have a lot of wolves or big bears (I think thats about their only predators besides man) they really aren't afraid of too much down here. If we had grizzlies and lots of wolves, I think that all our critters might be a little more skittish..... of course, I don't know that for sure, its just a thought.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
I'm with JuddCT, moose are big, non-fearing animals that can really get rialed up quite easily. I've had several run-in's with them, both bulls and cows with calfs and they can be very dangerous.
On the hunting side however, you can get really close for your shot. I'd suggest you not be too far from a road however, because that is a lot of meat when it's on the ground.
My hunting group helped an out of state guy with his big moose. We told him to have patience and wait until it was near the road before he shot it..But....It took 6 of us several hours to cut it up and haul it out for him.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
there just bigger then us and they know they can run us over with out a proublom. so why be afard of us. but get close to one in teh rut and have his cow on teh other side of you and he will chase you then.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
get one mad and see what happens. there not like elk and deer that get a bunch ofpeople chasing them for four months and get shot at by eveyr person they see. but they can run when they need to.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was reading that a bull at the shoulders is from 5'6 to 5'9 and weighs from 600 to 1000 pounds. I am 5'6 and hunting this thing with a bow, this going to be a trip! :shock: I hope they are really stupid so I can make it home in one piece.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Way to go on your draw!

Every year I have problems with moose when I bow hunt. Moose simple are not afraid and during the rut will follow and possible chase you. If I ever draw a moose tag it will be as much about revenge as it will be about sport.

Please shoot a big one so I have one less moose to worry about. There are plenty of moose to choose from near the trail head to White Pine in Little Cottonwood Canyon (in the big meadow accross the river and anywhere along the trail) as well as in Lambs Canyon. I would be happy to give you specifics on where to easily find moose since they won't let me shoot them myself.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
If you think this is going to be such a slam dunk why don't you hunt them with a real mans bow and shoot a recurve with wood arrows and a self sharpened steel point. 8)

Or are you a Puuuusssssy! :twisted:

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't think they are stupid and they definitely aren't afraid either. I have a nephew that got treed by one a few years ago in Butterfield canyon while on a muzzy hunt. He was up there for several hours while the moose kept thrashing around at anything and everything within reach. Unfortunately, the smokepole was on the ground and suffered a bit of damage as well as many of the trees around him.

A friend was out elk hunting on horseback and got chased down the mountain by a young bull moose. They are mean old boys.

I have heard of them tipping pickups over without even breaking a sweat.

Stupid? No. Fearless? Definitely. And man, can they run.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TEX-O-BOB said:
If you think this is going to be such a slam dunk why don't you hunt them with a real mans bow and shoot a recurve with wood arrows and a self sharpened steel point. 8)

Or are you a Puuuusssssy! :twisted:
Look stick flipper keep your traditional ideas to your self. We all know that recurves and these high tec computer made bows are not that much different then a compound. If you were a real man you make your own bow and chip out your own flint arrowheads like my hero Mike. He built his set-up from scratch, everything hand made, arrows, bow the whole set-up (buckskin underware too). You are just a tech head like the rest of us! When do you what to put some sights on that high tec computer made bow of yours? And also, real men use a long bow! *()* *()* *()* *()* *()* *()* *()* *()* *()* *()* *()* *()* *()* :twisted:

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Ya know, if you were a REAL man, you'd just go into the forest, find the biggest bull you could, drench yourself in "agressive bull whizz", and when he charged you just sidestep and stab him in the heart with an 10 inch Bowie knife. 8) :shock:

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Oh, great....one more thing to add to my list of things Tex says I need to do before I can consider myself a real bowhunter..... :lol: Just kidding Tex. :wink:

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
TEX-O-BOB said:
Ya know, if you were a REAL man, you'd just go into the forest, find the biggest bull you could, drench yourself in "agressive bull whizz", and when he charged you just sidestep and stab him in the heart with an 10 inch Bowie knife. 8) :shock:[/quote
You have been watching to much Tred on T.V. and now you have lost your mind! :roll:

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
How many points did you have? I have 10 now....and probably still a long way from having a tag in hand :cry:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts