Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
north slope said:
[quote="TEX-O-BOB":e9648]Ya know, if you were a REAL man, you'd just go into the forest, find the biggest bull you could, drench yourself in "agressive bull whizz", and when he charged you just sidestep and stab him in the heart with an 10 inch Bowie knife. 8) :shock:[/quote
You have been watching to much Tred on T.V. and now you have lost your mind! :roll:
[/quote:e9648]

TEX is Tred, you didn't know that?

Reminds me of a story. I have a friend that had Tred come out and hunt deer with him. After 3 or 4 days, Tred gave up on deer and was trying his damndest to shoot rabbits for the camera. He finally got one after about 50 attempts. That's a **** waste of a 2B archery tag.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Moose are mostly trophy animals (In my opinion). From my observations they can be found in the same spot day after day and often year after year. I have seen one spooked before, but even then it tooks it's time leaving and didn't run far before it stooped. I agree that you wouldn't want to irritate one though.
There isn't much in the wild that that a moose has to fear. Wolves in a pack for sure, so why should they run from a puny solitary human?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not stupid. Crazy and don't give a darn is how I characterize them. Even hearing one nearby while I'm trying to sleep in my tent worries me that he'll not like the color and decide to stomp it with me inside.

And I think they're hunted so infrequently they've just not learned to avoid humans and human scent quite as much as other game.

·
Super Moderator
10,109 Posts
I saw that picture of the buck with the hammock but they also posted this picture making you think that it was the same deer.

Then they posted this picture of another buck that is totally different than the first

I guess that your picture was to show how he looked.

My first picture to show that it happens to other deer

And my last picture to show that they radio collar deer.

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I had a moose tag in 2007- this is like reliving the past. Lots of names on this thread that have moved on.

I saw that picture of the buck with the hammock but they also posted this picture making you think that it was the same deer.
Looks like it could be the same buck to me.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
It is interesting to see some of the names of members from those days. Too bad so many move on.

·
1,677 Posts
I drew a moose tag here in Utah this year. All my experiences with moose have been that you can pretty much walk right up to them. I had my 9 year old son with me a few weeks ago and we had a bull that got within 5 yards of us and then he just fed and racked the bushes around us for twenty minutes. I have ran into them hunting and they just stand there and look at you. Now that I have a tag in my pocket I am sure that they will run like hell! Who has hunted moose in Utah and what did they act like? Do you just find the one you want and walk over a put a arrow in him? Are moose really stupid or am I missing something here?
Any animal that knows it is being hunted by Humans adapts to the threat of human predation.

Any animal that is unaware of human's hunting it will act in accordance of the best way to survive.

If you are a moose in Utah, you have no threat from 99.9% of humans that you encounter.

The biggest threat to Moose in Utah is surviving the winter and if you burn energy every time you encounter a human, then you will end up not surviving the winter.

Animals have more of an emphasis on energy conservation than predation.

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
Having now hunted moose in high pressure areas with lots of folks trying to hunt moose, I finally feel qualified to answer this question.

Yes. Moose are stupid. Dumbest big game animals I've ever hunted. But they are also the orneriest critters I've ever come across too.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts