Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son drew out a youth LE tag this year and we've never hunted turkey. This weekend we went up a canyon where we've seen them in the past to try out some locator calls and maybe find some more birds. No responses at all! We started about a half hour before sun rise. Later, at about 9:00 we spotted some still roosting in the trees. We blew the calls and still nothing, they just sat there. We found another group and the same thing happened.

My question is: Are turkeys less active in the winter? Is it too soon to be using a locator call? Or were these guys just hung over from their weekend?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've never had any luck using a locator call here in Utah. I agree, don't practice calling in birds. Just watch where they roost and then get there in the morning.

·
Registered
558 Posts
They rarely gobble at locator calls outside of the spring breeding season.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
It's waaaaayyyyy to early to be playing with them.
When u are ready to hunt, just follow the snow line up.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Like all animals trying to get through winter, don't stress them this time of year. When it warms up and there's no snow on the ground, play with them all you want. Believe me, turkeys aren't standing around sayin' "gee, I'am sure I heard that call about a month ago and I am pretty sure it's one of those darn humans":)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts