Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife just called me, she was going to get one for my boy who has a rifle deer tag... the rep said "sorry they are all sold out". WTF, I thought they are unlimited? Or was that just last year? I think the sales rep is confused...

-DallanC

·
Registered
174 Posts
I wouldn't buy them online. You have to have have the physical tag if you were to tag out. You can't get that by printing off your receipt online. Go to walmart and do it there. Otherwise, you'll end up having to run into walmart anyways to have them print you your tag. Which will run you an extra $10 per tag. $30 to go get it at walmart, or $40 if you do it online and then have to go into walmart. Don't buy online.

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just returned from Wallyworld... bought one there. I left it up to my boy if he wanted to pay for one or not... coulda shot a dozen during the ML hunt. Maybe we'll get lucky and run into some. He's already killed 1 elk so far this year via Mentor system.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Hey DC. Not to be prickly but weren't you like way against the mentor program thing? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Either way, I'm glad that your kids are having some fun times.-------SS

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey DC. Not to be prickly but weren't you like way against the mentor program thing? Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. Either way, I'm glad that your kids are having some fun times.-------SS
Yes. But that's the system they set up so until they change it, might as well take advantage of it.

It makes more of a difference in the OIL draws... its going to increase length the amount of time it takes people to draw OILs. We used to have a certain percentage of attrition, people who grew too old or just lost interest and quit. Now people can stay in it until they die, planning on letting Jr do the shooting.

-DallanC

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I think the mentor program would be best if it did not include LE and OIL tags. Antlerless and generals are a perfect fit. Anyway I'm still waiting for the day that my kids don't draw more tags than me so I can use the program too!:mrgreen:-------SS

·
Registered
6,724 Posts
Yes. But that's the system they set up so until they change it, might as well take advantage of it.

It makes more of a difference in the OIL draws... its going to increase length the amount of time it takes people to draw OILs. We used to have a certain percentage of attrition, people who grew too old or just lost interest and quit. Now people can stay in it until they die, planning on letting Jr do the shooting.

-DallanC
You really think there was a "certain percentage of attrition" in the OIL hunts prior to last year? I guess technically there was, but that percentage was so small we would just classify it as de minimis anyway. That percentage even prior to the mentor program was statistically insignificant. Mentor tags will impact the general deer hunt more than OIL.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts