Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been shooting a 300 55/70 carbon arrow. My father-in-law just gave me a bunch of 340 65/80 carbon arrows. If I cut these down to my current length will I have to sight my pins in again or will the yardage stay the same??? Thanks for your help! Nothing like trying to change things up 2 days before opening morning lol...

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Don't do it. They are a different spine and different weight, which will likely change your set up....maybe a lot. Of course, it takes me a long time to tune my setup and feel comfortable with it. Maybe you could pull it off. I wouldn't do it, though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will take your word for it my friend! Thanks for your help.. I kind of figured it would but just thought I'd ask..

·
Registered
650 Posts
Build one and find out. If the overall weight is the same, even though the spine is different, most likely you will not see any difference. In my experience, there is no such thing as over spine when shooting a compound with a fall away rest. If you are changing from vanes to feathers, then yes, you will experience a difference in the point of impact beyond 25 yards and dropping off more the farther you get out.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have some 400 spine gold tips that I love, but they're too short for my broadhead setup, and 300 spine PSE arrows that I picked up at a bargain that are long enough... if there's a difference in my sights, it's slight. (more me than the arrows)

If you're gonna mix them, I'd say don't, but if you have time to make a slight adjustment, to use your new arrows, it probably won't be much.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
i would not take the chance. i would just hunt with what you got and then if you want to change doring the week where you got time to shoot it and learn then go for it. but i would wait tell off season

·
Registered
650 Posts
Interesting to me how fearful some people are of making arrow changes. If your bow is tuned, changing arrows is really no big deal. Shoot the new arrow through the chrono, make a new tape and go shoot. The only time I worry or get concerned is if the shaft is a different diameter, then I have to reset the nock height or change the rest height. No big deal even for that minor of a change. Your windage won't change if the center shot is setup correctly, the only change you will see is in the elevation. Printing a new sight tape solves that issue. Of course, if you don't own a chrono or a program that will print sight tapes, then perhaps it is a big deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts