Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I'm going to be in alot of hot water with the Misses, I screwed up plain and simple.

Apparently when I was doing all the family applications, I accidentally selected Bookcliffs South for my wifes deer application instead of North... which she drew.

I drew north in '05 and got a dandy... we planned on her drawing there as well and when i saw the $80 charge we got all excited over it. Now, double checking things I see we applied for South by mistake which she now drew.

So now the question is do we stick with it or turn it back in and she will most probably draw out next year for North (she has alot of points).

I haven't spent alot of time on south, we've driven down off the switchbacks to I70. I know there is very little access on the south side, and its one steep mother... we don't have horses.

Anyone hunt / know the south side unit and have advice? Feel free to PM.

-DallanC

·
Registered
790 Posts
Yeah, that is a tough one. I know my co-worker had the tag in 08 and they hunted mainly the south end of the unit back when it was all one. They did good and got average Books bucks and didn't have horses. I have spent a lot of time down there but all on the North End so I wouldn't be much help on where to hunt. Good Luck

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
I'd still hunt it, right on the old Cunningham ranch....Now owed by the DWR...

PM me if you want details.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
A buddy of mine's kid drew the south last year and, he hunts hard and spent a week and a half out there. Because there was no early snow last year nothing pushed the deer south. His boy ended up killing the 2nd best deer they saw on the last day--it was a 150-160" 4x4. He was disappointed in the hunt but felt that if they would have had some snow it would have been a lot better. If you keep the tag I can get more info for you--let me know.

On a side note, remember a couple months ago I posted about loading 6.5 remington primers in 223 brass by mistake because I didn't read the directions on the box well enough. You (DallanC) posted on my thread and were kind of a jerk to me saying that I should have read the reloading manual better and basically rubbed my face in it. I find it HILARIOUS that you didn't properly READ the application instructions and have made a mistake yourself this time around. I believe this is called Karma. And mods please don't delete this post--it is in no way a personal insult, it's just fact and kind of dang funny to boot :)

Let me know if you need some info if you keep the tag.

·
Registered
394 Posts
A buddy of mine's kid drew the south last year and, he hunts hard and spent a week and a half out there. Because there was no early snow last year nothing pushed the deer south. His boy ended up killing the 2nd best deer they saw on the last day--it was a 150-160" 4x4. He was disappointed in the hunt but felt that if they would have had some snow it would have been a lot better. If you keep the tag I can get more info for you--let me know.
That is an above averge buck for the Book Cliffs.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On a side note, remember a couple months ago I posted about loading 6.5 remington primers in 223 brass by mistake because I didn't read the directions on the box well enough. You (DallanC) posted on my thread and were kind of a jerk to me saying that I should have read the reloading manual better and basically rubbed my face in it. I find it HILARIOUS that you didn't properly READ the application instructions and have made a mistake yourself this time around. I believe this is called Karma. And mods please don't delete this post--it is in no way a personal insult, it's just fact and kind of dang funny to boot :)
I only asked what the reloading manual stated, you thought the comment was "douchie" and asked I not post anymore in your thread which i respected. Otherwise I would have explained I didn't mean to come across that way.

/shrug

-DallanC

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As for everyone else, I appreciate the PM's I've gotten so far. Trolling through the draw odds it looks like shes guaranteed a tag on North next year if we turn it back in. If we had put in North as we wanted, she would probably not drawn and got it next year anyway.

Anyway, I spent alot of time with google earth last night, good lord that is alot of desolate country out there. Maybe we'll take a spring drive down there and look it over before we make a final decision.

-DallanC

1 - 9 of 9 Posts