Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 2 year old that I'm training to be a duck hunter. Every time he sees ducks and geese he points at them and shouts boom. The other day I was listening to a calling cd and he started mimicking the sounds. I feel like I'm doing a good job training him for waterfowl hunting.
This year I could do more waterfowl hunting if I take my son with me but what age is too young to go out into the marsh?

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I would wait until he is about 5. Seems like that was about when I started going with grandpa, dad and the two older brothers. I started taking my grandson at 5 and he is a semi-somewhat avid duck hunter.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Every kid is different and every family is different. I'm chomping at the bit to take my little girl out with me for rabbits. She's four now and I think she's ready to go, but I don't think my wife will let her out till at least 6. I'm working on getting that lowered. With cold and water in the mix, PFD or not I'd hold off till he was a VERY competent swimmer at the very least.

This year I could do more waterfowl hunting if I take my son with me but what age is too young to go out into the marsh?
Just remember, more trips doesn't necessary mean more hunting. I go fishing a lot more frequently if I take my girls, but over all I do a lot less fishing. Don't get me wrong, given the choice I'll take them 95% of the time, as I'm sure you will with your boy. Just don't expect to be fully focused on the hunt.

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
I have taken my kids out on short trips since they were 5. This year took my 8 year old girl out on an all day trip and she did great. Old enough to hike with me and understanding of the "quite we're hunting deers" approach. Lots of playing in the dirt and building various rock castles to avoid boredom midday but it gave me time to sit and glass. Also, I took my 15 year old daughter with me the next day and she smoked my ass hiking. Playing basketball sure does payoff in the mountains when its time to get up a steep incline. I'd turn around and check on her about to bust a lung and she is just standing there looking at me like "whats your problem?" Really good times hunting with my girls this year :D

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Every kid is different. Make sure you have several strategies to counter boredom (snacks being an obvious choice). But if they get bored and want to leave it's probably best to pack it in and do something fun on the way home to make it a positive experience overall.

My dad took me and my two brothers when we were as young as 4, but some hunts were pretty hard and long, and we didn't always come home happy. It took until I was about 10 for me to enjoy it. My brothers, on the other hand, want nothing to do with hunting, and I wonder if it was due to the fact that they were exposed to some of its harder aspects before they had developed the patience and the capacity to enjoy it.

I would suggest:

-Short trips (maybe the last 1-2 hours of shooting time)
-Short drives
-Snacks (can you tell I like snacks?)
-Hearing protection

Do that, and I think you'll have a great time and some good experiences together.

But if you take him with you on a trip that involves driving six hours in a single day, in order to find 1 or 2 pheasants (maybe) over the course of 4 hours of hiking, you're not doing him or yourself any favors. Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I started taking my son out at 3 for short periods and much longer hunts at 4. He loved it. I made a cart that held him and all of his favorite toys, snacks, and of course his bb gun to shooy empty shotgun hulls stacked up. I also sweetened the deal bu giving him a plastic bag and a nickle for every empty hull he picked up i owe him like $250 for the 6 years he dos that before her started hunting himself. Now we just share the garbage clean up and ots his second nature to pick up trash now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I started my 3 at 3 years old. They sat through sun, rain, and driving snow. They LOVE it! They are all in their teens and 20's now, and they eat, sleep and breathe it!

·
Premium Member
3,982 Posts
My boy is 3, and he will be going out for his first full day with me and my dad on Saturday. We have plans to fish, hunt ducks, and take a drive and maybe a few small walks looking for grouse. Depends on the kid, depends on the duration. Just gotta make it short and sweet until they get a taste for more of it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I took my oldest out when he was 5. He was really excited about going. We walked out the center entrance of FB. He lasted about an hour was all. Then I had to pack an extra 50 pound of kid with all the other gear. That day sucked!!! He is now 8 and loves every minute of it. My second oldest is 6 and I took them both out in the boat last year. Having the boat has helped with the gear issue and not having to pack the kiddos also, but more than that, snacks and coffee (shhh don't tell mom) seems to work well. I think sometimes we want more for our kids than they are really ready for, but I know I can't wait for them to feel the joy of being outdoors with friends and family that it brings to us. Good luck with whatever route you take.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts