Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Unless your handicapped and can't walk it's not worth unloading an atv. The trail just runs out there about 400 yards and dead ends at the phrag line you can see from the road. That whole area is still overgrown with phrag and they haven't really made much attempt to knock it down there yet.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Any details on the J dike?
Funny you ask, I contacted blair and I asked him about the J dike and unit 2 at ogden bay. This is his reply.

I really appreciate your email about the waterfowl slam. We have been saving the money up for a few years as we've worked through some challenges of getting a few projects off the ground. We have allocated slam money to fund the j-dike project, and the only construction hasn't taken place is because we've been waiting on approval from the Army Corps of Engineers.

We also just identified another project at Ogden Bay that will hopefully take place next year (pending permitting from the Corps). A map of that project is attached. The proposed project would create an impoundment around 120 acres in size. Currently the area is seasonally flooded and grows large stands of phragmites and is not flooded during the waterfowl season. By raising the existing roads several feet and installing water control structures, we could manage the water levels, phragmites could be controlled, and habitat would be vastly improved. In addition to improving the habitat with-in the impoundment, managers will also be able to flood mud flats to the north and west of the area. This project should improve hunting on all of North run.

We are still looking at Unit 2 at Ogden Bay, but we're still not sure if we want to pursue that project at this time. Restoring that dike will take a lot more money than we currently have, and there are some other issues associated rebuilding it that we haven't tackled yet. We definitely still have it on our short list though.

If you have any other questions about the slam let me know!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts