Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
3,810 Posts
This was mentioned in passing on another thread. I'm surprised that there has not or is not currently a PR push to advertise this requirement. Almost like they want to ticket as many as possible.

· Registered
3,810 Posts
Utah already requires those under 18 to have a certificate and training. They have for quite some time. Most manufactures require dealers to do a little introduction to handling ATV/UTV's before leaving the dealership. Utah used to believe that those with a current drivers license for driving on a public road in a regular motor vehicle were smart enough to drive ATV/UTV's responsibly. Now they don't.
I honestly doubt that it will change anyone's behavior but we can always wish.

· Registered
3,810 Posts
To transfer a title you need the old title signed with a release. The DMV will have to verify that the VIN on the old title matches the vehicle. First year you pay sales tax. After that property tax.

· Registered
3,810 Posts
And it's supposed to be a once in a lifetime course. Yeah, just like the Swan course was. I bet it will get updated and we will be doing it every year. The questions in the course should offend anyone with the slightest amount of intelligence. I mean nobody needs to tell me to bury a turd, or that a 62" wide machine won't fit through a 50" wide gate.

I keep reading on the OHV pages that something educational had to be done before we lose riding areas. I agree, something educational does need to be done, but this isn't it.
Yet I see multiple instances of turds and toilet paper alongside trails. Not to mention signs that many have gone around 50" gates or have made trails wider by going around obstacles. I don't even want to mention plastic water bottles. They are more prevalent than the dreaded beer can.

People are slobs. And no this is not going make a difference.

· Registered
3,810 Posts
The fact that you have to have it with any ATV/UTV you drive I'll have it laminated and in my wallet along with a picture on my phone.

After trying and failing to help a lady who dropped her phone off a ski lift that had all her ID, CC, room reservation, flight information and boarding pass on it I try not to put all the eggs in one basket.

· Registered
3,810 Posts
It should not be the responsibility of anyone that is a renter of OHV’s to have any part of that educational process and should not slow anything down.
The rentee should have that burden 100% and should not even be involved in the rental process.
I just think as a service to customers they would reference the requirement to have a permit to operate the rental. Very little work to add a link to their website to direct the customer to the test.

As the law states....
312 (c) Except as provided in Subsection (2)(d), a person may not rent an off-highway
313 vehicle to an individual until the individual that will operate the off-highway vehicle has
314 completed the off-highway vehicle safety education and training program described in
315 Subsection (1).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts