Utah Wildlife Forum banner
61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Administrator
11,495 Posts
I also will take the course, you need to do what the powers to be say that you have to do.

I just hope that the mom who was the copilot in the SxS that I almost had a head on a few years ago also takes it along with her son and realize that they need to slow down when they come around a blind curve on a one lane dirt road and meet a F350.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I was skimming through the boat ed course last night and didn't realize the issue of "power loading". I don't load with my outboard but it makes me wonder what's happening to our boat ramps at these low water levels.

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
Memorial day weekend, best entertainment in Utah.Just sit in a lawn chair at the strawberry boat ramp and LMAO all day long. It really is a "anything that floats" contest of sorts.

-DallanC

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Still debating if I want to license my new SxS. It's a $95 ticket for not having it registered VS over $1000 for property tax when registering it. I figure I could get a dozen tickets, and that won't happen because I have never been checked in 35 years of running ATV's.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Still debating if I want to license my new SxS. It's a $95 ticket for not having it registered VS over $1000 for property tax when registering it. I figure I could get a dozen tickets, and that won't happen because I have never been checked in 35 years of running ATV's.
Better check all the places you run your SxS. Those tickets are different values per county. Where you live I got a $225 ticket for my boat being out of registration. I wonder what it would have been if I never registered it at all? I'm just saying they can stack citations if you give them a reason.

The other kicker is that you can get the ticket just towing it on the interstate. Once it's off private property, even parked in front of your house, they can ticket you.

·
Administrator
11,495 Posts
A lot will depend on where you run it. I used to go down to the San Rafael desert out of Huntington on Easter and run my dune buggy and every year there were some State Parks Rangers out there checking ATV registrations. Since I was a resident I always had one but a friend from Idaho didn't since he wasn't required to have one. Then I moved to Colorado and since Colorado didn't register them at the time I was not required to have one or 30 or so days while I was in Utah. The first day I was checked by the same Ranger that had checked me a dozen times before, he thought that he had a easy ticket. That was until I pulled out my Colorado drivers license. But then we switched to Memorial Day and never saw a Ranger again. I also have never been checked during any of the hunts either.

As for the boat ramps, they need to extend every one of them that they can during a low water year. I understand that they won't be able to do it to all of them but if they can they should do it.

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
I got checked last year on the Boulder Mts... twice.

-DallanC

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
Better check all the places you run your SxS. Those tickets are different values per county. Where you live I got a $225 ticket for my boat being out of registration. I wonder what it would have been if I never registered it at all? I'm just saying they can stack citations if you give them a reason.

The other kicker is that you can get the ticket just towing it on the interstate. Once it's off private property, even parked in front of your house, they can ticket you.
I'm sure I will reluctantly license it. It's due this month. I'm just pi$$ed that this state has their hands in everything when it comes to taxes. I bought the machine used, it's a 2021 with 100 miles on it. The original owner bought it in November 2021 from a dealer where he paid all of the taxes. I bought it from him in June of this year, so it was 6 months old. I'm sure the state will want to tax it again. If someone knows differently, I'm all ears. Is there a time frame for the taxes or does the new owner just have to pay them again?

·
Administrator
11,495 Posts
I'm sure I will reluctantly license it. It's due this month. I'm just pi$$ed that this state has their hands in everything when it comes to taxes. I bought the machine used, it's a 2021 with 100 miles on it. The original owner bought it in November 2021 from a dealer where he paid all of the taxes. I bought it from him in June of this year, so it was 6 months old. I'm sure the state will want to tax it again. If someone knows differently, I'm all ears. Is there a time frame for the taxes or does the new owner just have to pay them again?
I may be wrong but you are just paying the registration fees like you do for your truck or car and not the sales tax. I don't know about Utah but can't you just register it for Off Road Only and not for highway use for a cheaper fee?

·
Registered
11,385 Posts
You gotta pay sales tax every time it changes owners. I bought a CR250 motorcycle once back in the 1980s, my dad was with me... said "watch this, lemme show you how to save some money: He told the guy we'll give you $100 for the bike and $1100 for the helmet" (the guy was throwing in on the deal anyway). The guy had a odd expression on his face but said ok. Put down $100 as the sales price on the title and signed it over. Went down to register and the lady asked if that amount was correct, I said yes, you can call the guy to verify if you want. She shrugged and charged me a few bucks sales tax and I went on my way.

:)

-DallanC

·
Registered
909 Posts
I was skimming through the boat ed course last night and didn't realize the issue of "power loading". I don't load with my outboard but it makes me wonder what's happening to our boat ramps at these low water levels.
It is mostly a practice used back east in
It is mostly a practice used back east on real lakes with shallow, native earth ramps.
Power loading really does a number on those underwater surfaces.
Like you mentioned it will have effect on our concrete ramps, especially in low water years.
As proof, just ask those boaters at Willard and Saratoga Springs how fun it is when their trailer tires drop off the end of the eroded ramp.
On the other end of the scale, I have seen plenty of boaters attempting ‘power UN-loading’ of their boats.
It is rarely effective, until AFTER you undo the winch strap from the bow eye.

·
Registered
909 Posts
You gotta pay sales tax every time it changes owners. I bought a CR250 motorcycle once back in the 1980s, my dad was with me... said "watch this, lemme show you how to save some money: He told the guy we'll give you $100 for the bike and $1100 for the helmet" (the guy was throwing in on the deal anyway). The guy had a odd expression on his face but said ok. Put down $100 as the sales price on the title and signed it over. Went down to register and the lady asked if that amount was correct, I said yes, you can call the guy to verify if you want. She shrugged and charged me a few bucks sales tax and I went on my way.

:)

-DallanC
When I sale something I tell the guy my loading fee is 90% of the sale price.
I’m surprised how many don’t get it.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Fowlmouth,

I believe you could be stacking some nasty fines up by not registering the vehicle within a year. ATVs not registered properly can qualify for a minimum $1000 fine just like other motor vehicles, if I'm reading the law correctly. It wouldn't qualify for exemption because it's not "currently registered" as required by 2(a)(x) in the linked law.

The fine is outlined here:

I think the state remedied the potential loophole you describe. Ultimately it looks like you could end up at a minimum paying the infraction cost + $200 fine alongside the charge of a misdemeanor IF you register it after being caught. That adds up fast plus the misdemeanor charge.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
It’s registered until the end of the month in the old owners name. I have been driving it with his registration. I have the title, it’s called a “corrected title”.that was sent to me from the Utah State Tax Commission when I paid off the owners lean. There is no $ amount on that title. Maybe I just hand them that title and they won’t ask what I paid for it? I know I need to re-title it in my name. I hate sales tax!

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It’s registered until the end of the month in the old owners name. I have been driving it with his registration. I have the title, it’s called a “corrected title”.that was sent to me from the Utah State Tax Commission when I paid off the owners lean. There is no $ amount on that title. Maybe I just hand them that title and they won’t ask what I paid for it? I know I need to re-title it in my name. I hate sales tax!
They'll typically ask for a bill of sale. Without one, I wouldn't try any funny business. And I'd never change the title if someone already filled it out. Being that it's empty, you have a dilemma.

·
Registered
6,830 Posts
They'll typically ask for a bill of sale. Without one, I wouldn't try any funny business. And I'd never change the title if someone already filled it out. Being that it's empty, you have a dilemma.
Agree! I won't fill anything out on the title. I'm just going to hand it to them the way they sent it to me back in July.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts