Utah Wildlife Forum banner

Auto. or Stick

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So do you prefer an automatic or a stick shift?

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
STICK!

I was surprised to see so many votes for auto.

I prefer to DRIVE a vehicle over being a passenger at the wheel. I have the control over what gear I'm in. I decide where my RPM's are. I can pass the slow-pokes better.

Now if I were to take a long drive, say, 6 hours or more...I'd go ahead with the auto for the comfort factor. Then again, it might just be too comfy and I might just fall asleep.

If a long drive includes cutting through a mountain range, I'd have to revert to the manual. They're better at climbing, IMO.

Now here's the real reason why I'm surprised about all the votes for auto:

This is forum full of people who own trucks, right? If you wanna dig, you want a stick, don't you? I realize you can just pop an auto in low gear and take your foot off the brake for some hairy spots, but don't you miss DRIVING up that hill?

I don't think I could ever own a 4x4 with automatic transmission. _/O

·
Registered
142 Posts
Right !! Sticks are great! I love it when there is a 3 car pile up on I-15 and its stop and go traffic for miles and miles, you can't get a left leg work out like that everyday. Most Auto trannies go 100K miles, getting a new clutch 3 times in that same time is also a bonus.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Geez three clutches in 100 k. So are you my wife or the 16 year old nascar fan down the road. Either way once you have learned how to drive a stick, it's not so bad.

·
Registered
142 Posts
fatbass said:
IcatchEm said:
Right !! Sticks are great! I love it when there is a 3 car pile up on I-15 and its stop and go traffic for miles and miles, you can't get a left leg work out like that everyday. Most Auto trannies go 100K miles, getting a new clutch 3 times in that same time is also a bonus.
3 clutches? What are you driving, a Yugo? I get between 100 and 150K between clutches and I replace them myself. Much cheaper than getting an auto trans rebuilt. I have a 1992 Honda Accord that has the stock clutch at 245K.
I ain't driving a manual transmission !! I had a '95 F-250 P.S. and the clutch went early, I understand those models had some issues, a friend had a landscape company that towed heavy loads with new Power Strokes daily all over town and always insisted on sticks until too many clutches went out and switched to autos. I used to drive a Big Brown truck that had a stick, and clutches went out commonly, If you guys like to shift gears good for you,I'm done with it, I have graduated to auto's from here on out.

·
Registered
142 Posts
This makes me wonder something...........A Prevost is at the upper end of that market, why don't they put sticks in those ?? Garbage trucks cost over 100K, still they don't have sticks, when will these people see the light?

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
My work truck ( F word ) has a 5-speed with a clutch....My personal truck ( Chevy ) is an auto with imitation four wheel drive ( switch ) ....I actually enjoy them both.
I would prefer a 3 with the granny for a true 4x4 though. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
fixed blade said:
WHAT .45 your driving a ford during the work week, why I never. O-|-O
Company truck and company gas....I'd better not complain too much... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

How did ya know it was a Ford ??? All I said was F-word.... :) :) :)

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
Where I go, I rarely use 4X4.... but I like being able to lock it into Granny gear and climb my way out of most things.... I've had autos.... and I just get more of a "solid" feeling about vehicles when I drive a stick. Thats me though... I understand its not for everyone. I'm also not a newest, easiest, best thing on the market kind of guy either so maybe thats why manual fits my way of doing things.

·
Banned
171 Posts
My huntin rigs have allmost always had a manual trans and manual hubs, except for two years when all I had was a carolla. Carollas arnt the best huntin vehicles. :lol:

·
Registered
812 Posts
it all depends on where i live at the time. growing up in Idaho i never had an automatic but there are very little traffic jams or stoplights so it was a no brainer. but when i moved to Utah and found myself in all this traffic crap i went to an automatic. i like both but if i still had a stick shift my left leg would be so much larger than my right that i would only be able to walk in circles not very productive if you ask me. my auto crew cab chev has never ever had any tranny probs and i beat the crap out of it every summer.

·
Registered
812 Posts
fatbass said:
Riverrat77 said:
Where I go, I rarely use 4X4.... but I like being able to lock it into Granny gear and climb my way out of most things.... I've had autos.... and I just get more of a "solid" feeling about vehicles when I drive a stick. Thats me though... I understand its not for everyone. I'm also not a newest, easiest, best thing on the market kind of guy either so maybe thats why manual fits my way of doing things.
+1. I beat the snot out of my 4X4's and end up taking them where I shouldn't. I've been on some downgrades on slippery slopes that needed granny gear but I had an auto. Hitting the brakes caused some 'sidewinding' that had my hunting partner jumping out the passenger side door and my butthole grew teeth and chewed a hole in the seat!
From that point on, it's a stick or nothing.
come on fatbass we need visual proof on the before mentioned seat. probably some interesting teeth marks.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Exercises

Anyone serious about wheeling performs the following exericise in the off-season:

1) Lower your tailgate
2) Sit on tailgate, positioned directly over a domed rivet head
3) Have your buddy drive up a steep, rocky slope while you clench yourself in place

To the casual observer, this may appear very similar to the AGSM (Anti-G Straining Maneuver) that fighter pilots use to keep blood from draining away from the head. Yes, it is also known as the CTFM, or "Crapping The Football Maneuver." This builds the muscles that allow you to grip down with enough purchase to maintain your seating position in almost any surface. On cloth seats this can be achieved after only a few sessions, but with leather you're going to need an extended program.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
Re: Exercises

threshershark said:
Anyone serious about wheeling performs the following exericise in the off-season:

1) Lower your tailgate
3) Have your buddy drive up a steep, rocky slope while you clench yourself in place

To the casual observer, this may appear very similar to the AGSM (Anti-G Straining Maneuver) that fighter pilots use to keep blood from draining away from the head. Yes, it is also known as the CTFM, or "Crapping The Football Maneuver." This builds the muscles that allow you to grip down with enough purchase to maintain your seating position in almost any surface. On cloth seats this can be achieved after only a few sessions, but with leather you're going to need an extended program.
In short.....pucker factor..have the experience everytime I drive with my children or wife !!... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Re: Exercises

threshershark said:

1) Lower your tailgate

that sounds like a LOT of trouble to see if a truck is for you or not.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Fatbass hit it! Actually, I would prefer an auto for city driving but for mountain roads and towing the chips are down when you head down hill. A manual just gives a lot more controle and "holdback".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts